Selling MBP C2D in UK - questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Outside75, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Outside75 macrumors member

Hi,

Im thinking about selling my MBP C2D (2.33GHz, 2GB, 160HDD, Glossy). I bought it through Higher Education Store in UK. Now:

- do I need to transfer my extended Apple Care to the person who will buy it? AppleCare shows my laptops serial number but I just want to be sure that its not against my name too.

- can I make another purchase throught HE store? I dont want to buy another MBP but I was thinking about downgrading to Macbook. Can anyone remind me what were the the limitations here? (One machine a year or something??)

- The price - I bought it with discount (Higher Education) but when it comes to sale shall I forgot about it? For example:
    In HE store my MBP costs £1,502.83 (with AppleCare).
    In "normal" store same MBP costs £2,048.01
    So - it will be ok to ask for something about £1700 - 1800 pounds for it? (Together with wireless apple keyboard and mouse, RadTech screen Protector, laptop sleeve, iCurve stand and great Pakuma laptop backpack).
    Can you tell me how much shall I ask for it? Its two months old, no scratches, no problems with anything.

- finally - I never sold anything:) What shall I do to be sure that transaction will be safe and succesfull? I dont want to cheat and I dont want to be cheated:)

Thank you

2. gillms1 macrumors newbie

3. Outside75 thread starter macrumors member

.. oh well:

a. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

b. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

c. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

d. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased p er academic year

e. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

f. iPod: there is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

4. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

That's a quick turn around - anything wrong with the machine?

If selling, i'd ignore the fact that you got a discount when deciding what price to sell it for (base it on the rrp), and maybe compare with what a re-furb costs.

plus, i think gillms1 is right - one discount per year

5. Outside75 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing wrong:) just Im not happy with the screen and after couple of months I just realised that MBP is slightly too much for my needs. But still looks like I will not be able to get another laptop through HE store so I need to think about it again:)

6. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

what do they consider as an 'academic year'??

7. Outside75 thread starter macrumors member

exactly.. thats what Im thinking about.. anyone?

8. Amber macrumors regular

How did you get that discount? My girlfriend goes to London College of Fashion and doesn't save anywhere near that much.

9. Outside75 thread starter macrumors member

I called them. The didnt ask many questions. The price is the price from Apple Store for Higher Education. If someone is interested:

all standard config:
    MBP 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - £1,146.80
    MBP 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - £1,444.08
    MBP 17' 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - £1,614.45

MacPro:) £1,427.63

Anyway - I just called them, they asked about my Uni and that was it:) They didnt even ask for a proof of my student status!

10. gillms1 macrumors newbie

may i ask what you are finding wrong with the screen? I'm hoping to pick up a 15" MBP tomorrow myself, so am just curious.

11. Outside75 thread starter macrumors member

I think its very personal experience. I dont like narrow viewing angles - its almost impossible to get a "proper" view of the screen without constant head moving:) It makes my eyes tired. It suffers from all the usual Macbook Pro screen issues - like problems with banding but Im sure that some users will be happy with this screen. There is no dead/stuck pixels and movies looks great on it.

12. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

That's funny since my non-mac friends were impressed by the range of viewing angles on my MBP whilst i was showing it off. I have no banding or grain, and the brightness and clarity have been great on my eyes after my old Ti PB. In short i guess, yes, a very personal thing.

13. Outside75 thread starter macrumors member

It is personal indeed. Still I think I will wait a few months before selling this laptop - and the screen.. I will go the local Apple reseller and just compare macbooks there with mine. Maybe I have a "lemon":)

14. Amber macrumors regular

That's crazy they didn't ask you anything. Would it be really bad if I tried that myself? We get ripped off enough in the UK compared to US prices as it is. I wonder if you'd have to prove anything if you bought the £50 applecare and had problems?

How does Apple deal with second owner HE Macs with Applecare?