Selling my cell phone on ebay...

Discussion in 'Community' started by mcarnes, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Hello!

I upgraded and am selling my old cell phone on ebay (Nokia 3650). Should I remove the SIM card or does it matter? The service has already been terminated by the provider (AT&T), so it shouldn't matter if I leave it in right? I mean, the new owner can't reactivate it in my name or can he?

Thanks!

P.S. What exactly does the SIM card do anyway?

2. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Take the SIM card away, I'm in a hurry and don't have enough time to tell you what a SIM does, but take it away, which phone are you getting?

3. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I'm getting a Nokia 6600. Thanks for the reply.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Why are you changing the phone? what's the advantage over the 3650? (apart of the keypad layout, I have it too and did give me some work to get used to).

I would consider to change it too but I got some nice skins and right now am working to make it look like OS X ;)...

again, why are you changing?

5. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

You should remove the old SIM card, as it is now worthless.

6. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

If you upgrade your phone once a year, so make a profit. You lose your number and need to tell everyone your new number, that is the only draw back.

On Amazon, a new Nokia 6600 cost $49 after rebates. I can get about $100 or more for the old Nokia 3650 on Ebay.

I've done this for the last 3 years and made a profit every time. You make $50 to $100 and get a new phone, someone on ebay gets a nice old phone, amazon makes a sale, everyone is happy.

I sold the last two phones with the SIM card in it and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me somehow, like false charges on my credit record or something.

Love those Amazon rebates. I read many complaints, but I always get mine on time. Just follow the instructions.

7. mcarnes thread starter macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Oh, another thing is you have to change service providers because they won't give you the rebate if you're a current customer. Last year I was AT&T. This year I'm T-Mobile. Next year back to AT&T, etc.

8. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

You shouldn't have to change numbers now. You can take your number with you when you change providers. You might want to see if the deal can be used with that situation as well. Most Providers will give you the world if you sign a contract with them and transfer your old number over.

9. mac-er macrumors 65816

SIM Card

Take a look at this link:

Wikipedia