Selling my iBook through Craigslist, is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by beez7777, May 17, 2006.

1. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

So today i put an ad up for my iBook on craigslist because i want a macbook, and a little while later i got an email. the whole exhange seems kinda sketchy, but she wants to send a usps money order. i'm wondering where the scam comes in if i don't send my iBook out until i get the money from the money order. here's the exchange (via email):

Her: Hello seller
    i am highly interested in this item so is the item still available forsale,if so kindly mail me back so that we can finalize our discusion.i need to know the final price of the package.
    ok..................Thanks

Me: yes, the item is still up for sale. where are you located?

Her: Thanks for your reply concerning my enquiry.I am satisfied with the condition of the item and willing to offer you an amount of $1200 including packing materials without you paying for any shipping charges cos i already have an account with FedEx.
    I would be glad to make payment with the following payment option :
    By sending you a postal money order through my United State Postal Service(USPS) account.
    Kindly get back to me with your full name , street address , City , State , Zip-Code , private email address and likewise your phone # .
    I need the above requirements as soon as possible so that i can explain the process on how to receive a postal money order via USPS and as well finalize payment immediately.Looking forward in doing business with you.

she didnt ask for any more details besides the general stuff i put in the ad, and didn't ask for pictures or anything. thoughts?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Total scam. Report them to Craigslist and then run away from them as quickly as possible.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I think it looks like a scam.
    What horrible grammar. It looks like 10 year old wrote it.

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

Nobody talks like that. It's a generic email. Stay away!

When dealing with craigslist I would do local only.

7. beez7777 thread starter macrumors 6502a

beez7777

thanks everyone. i was almost positive it's a scam. can anyone explain how the scam works though? if they send a money order and it doesnt work then i don't send the computer. where does the scam come in?

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The scam is that you send the computer when you receive the money order... and then the money order turns out to be bogus when you go to cash it. By that time, your item is in Africa.

On Craigslist, my rule is cash only, but I'll take a check if I meet the person and feel they're trustworthy. Money orders are RIGHT OUT, and I don't ship anything unless I've received payment through a verifiable process (PayPal) first.

9. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I bet if you played along, the person would try to pressure you into sending the computer before you got the money.

The scammer already is trying to show a sense of urgency and the need to rush.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

2 possible scenarios..

1) Because they will most likely try and convince you to send the computer first. 'there were issues with the money order', or 'we sent it already, here's the tracking number', or something else made up.

2) It was a social engineering attempt to get info for later use on indet-theft.

11. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

This is the typical craigslist scam. I encountered it a lot when trying to sell my old ps2 a while ago.. I actually got the scammer to jack the initial offer up to $1600 over the course of a couple of weeks. I too have no idea what the benefit to the scammer could possibly be, or why they would be willing to spend weeks of almost daily correspondence to get me to bite when I am obviously baiting them for my own personal amusement.

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Just the language of the message makes it sound non-legit to me. Nobody sounds that weird when they write emails. If the message was more like "Hey, I don't have a paypal account, is there any way I can pay with a USPS money order" I'd be a lot less suspicious.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

14. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

indeed

15. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's an insult to 10 year olds. :)

16. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Your right, 10 year olds have better grammar.
    Probable some toddler trying to get a free computer.

17. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i couldent have said it better.... first thing i thought of when she was asking for addresss, phone number, email, full name...

hell, might as well send a social security number too! :eek:

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

19. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

It says it's a girl. But it could be a guy pretending to be a girl.
    When I visualize a stereotype scammer I usually don't picture a girl.
    Even though a female could be a scammer too.

20. nem3015 macrumors member

nem3015

21. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

While it appears to be a scammer, I would email her back, give a fake name (or just your first name or first and middle) and address (Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think much can be done with exchanging a first name and address). Tell her that when you receive the MO and have it cashed, you will ship. While I suspect this will make her run away, if you do get the MO and you get it cashed, you have just sold your machine like you wanted to.

22. pablocordoba2 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, just ran into this topic while I was searching for scammers on the web..
    Great topic, now I have a similar case, but this one is saying she will pay me with paypal, and she wants me to ship it to overseas, to another person.

I have an iBook for sale, with slight damage.
    This lady is willing to pay $100 higher than what I was asking for it, via PAYPAL. They declined to pay in person considering they are located in west coast (me in east coast).

I am confused. Can anyone scam me through paypal? If they pay me, and I take all of my money from paypal, can they try to get the money back somehow?

Thanks.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sounds like a scam. Over the asking amount, shipping overseas, and shipping to someone else are 3 huge red flags. They can report to Paypal that they never received it, or that it was damaged, and if Paypal sides with them, they'll take the money out of your bank account. I wouldn't risk it.

In fact, thinking about it now, it sounds like they're using a stolen Paypal account since they do want you to ship it to a different person. And then once the real owner of the account reports this charge as fraudulent, Paypal will give him back his money at your expense.

For Craigslist, I would do local pickup with cash only.

24. pablocordoba2 macrumors newbie

yg17, that's one thing I didn't think about, they could be using someone else's paypal account. That is a possibility. I don't get the logic behind shipping it to overseas.

Oh, I must add, they also gave me a cellphone number for me to call. I looked up that cellphone number, looks like this person sold a few other things on few other websites including old listings at craigslist.

I am wondering what can I ask them to do, that a scammer won't do.

25. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Scam! But I love replying to these. I love how the scammers try to sound pretty formal in the e-mails but the English is usually really broken.