Selling my mac and need to make it factory-fresh!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Sorry if this is listed somewhere in these forums. Either I'm not very good at searching or the search function doesn't work very well :rolleyes:

Anyway! My new powerbook is on its way and I may have found a lucky new owner for my current powerbook. I want to format the HD before I hand it over. I know how to do this with the Panther install CDs however I would like to essentially cut off the process so that when the new owner boots up for the first time he gets what he would have gotten if it was factory new. So basically where you do all the initial set up stuff before accessing OS10.3 for the first time.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks!

2. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Ummm...

As far as I know, and I think I did this once, when the clean install is done, shut down your computer before it restarts automatically. I believe you can do this from the Apple menu. Pack your lappy, and when the new owner receives it and starts it up, they should get the OS X Welcome video and set up process.

3. sparky76 macrumors regular

If you have the time, set the format option to over write with random data to make sure none of your personal information is left recoverable. This is easiest if you have access to another Mac and start your PB in firewire target disc mode.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Installing OS X isn't the problem, as others have said it runs the Setup Assistant on first boot once it's been installed. The problem is installing the other software (such as iLife and Classic), where the installer needs to be run from inside OS X. I don't know how to accomplish this, does anyone else know?

5. kewpid macrumors regular

6. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

The issue of installing stuff like iLife and such is not a problem. I'm selling my copy of 10.3 with the powerbook as well. so he can install that stuff himself.

So is it a matter of shutting down the powerbook at the right moment?

Funny thing is, I did a fresh install of 10.3 on my powerbook a couple of weeks ago but I don't recall actually getting into the OS until AFTER that introductory video thing. (which was very cool btw :D ).

Are you sure about this?

7. starnox macrumors 6502

Awww I can't remember watching an introduction video on my new G5 iMac.

8. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Umm... True. Now, it depends. If you clean-install Panther, it is a two-CD process unless you choose to install X-11 and Dev tools. You go through and install Disc 1, you are prompted for Disc 2, it installs that, and then I believe it enters the set up...? Or is it?

Darn, I'm confused now... I am ing processes confused between clean install from OS X purchase, or restore DVD. Although, it makes sense taht if you wipe the HD and install, it needs to create that new user account, so I would assume you get the welcome video AFTER CD 2 has installed.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling. You could also set up a basic default admin account and password. The buyer can always change it later.