Selling my previous present to pay for nano?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by adamjohn_98, Sep 13, 2005.

1. adamjohn_98 macrumors member

Hello all you kind people out there!

I just wanted to get a feel for what you guys thought about my current situation, so here it goes:
    Last Christmas, my parents gave me a 20GB 4G Hp+iPod (they bought it @ RadioShack-the only electronics place in town except Wal-Mart). I had previously owned a 3G 15GB (that I then passed on to my brother), so I was thrilled to have the "latest". After 9 months of medium usage, my 4G only has 404 songs on it.
    Spontaneously, I purchased a 512mb shuffle to use and "not worry about" when they were released in January.
    Last week, the nano was released and I saw the light. Buy a nano, sell other iPods. I sold my shuffle for $50 on eBay, and then bought the nano. Now I am wondering, how rude would it be to sell an expensive Christmas present (4G) to pay for the remainder of the nano?
    Background Info: Im 19 and a college sophomore, my dad is a banker and watches my account like a hawk, and I go to college in the same town as my dad lives. The first question my dad will ask me when he looks at my account is "what are you going to do with the old one?"
    Also, I just received a check for $100 that was payment for extra computer teaching that I do on the side, and I have a brand new Abacus wrist PDA that is worth at least $80 that I am ready to sell.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!!!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't sell it if anyone's going to get offended but surely your parents don't expect you to keep it forever. It is technology after-all, it will be outdated very quickly.

3. adamjohn_98 thread starter macrumors member

Good point!

4. Must.Get.nano! macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

You can always just ask if you can sell it...

iPaul

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

yet the 4g is really not out dated i woudl keep it hust to have something that can hold 20gbs( back up stuff on it) and just save for the nano its not like you don't have something to hold you over!

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Its your life, do what you want.

Personally I would see if you still use the 40 GB iPod, and if not sell it. The 40 GB iPod doesn't seem to be the best fit for you, finding something that is a better fit, I doubt would be seen as inappropriate.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's the right attitude. Do what you want, don't worry about other people. :p

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Tell your dad that if you're old enough to vote, you're old enough to decide what to spend your money on. And that you'll take full responsibility for your actions if you screw up so he doesn't have to worry about bailing you out.

I'm a father myself (but my kids are much younger than you) but I don't think I would be comfortable with watching every penny they spend when (or if) they go to college.

As for the iPod present, it's yours and you can do what you want with it.