Selling off a PC laptop to buy a Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Losium, May 16, 2006.

1. Losium macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I'm trying to sell my old and somewhat broken E-machines laptop. (Not trying to sell it here)

Anyway, I found this website: www.cashforlaptops.com (I think it was acually an ad that I found on Macrumors..)
    Has anyone actually used this? They quoted me 340 dollars for my crappy old laptop, aside from the fact that there was no option to tell them the HD failed.
    It almost seems to be too good to be true coming from a retailer...
    Any comments on this or alternative suggestions would be awesome.

Please also note that I am not interested in trying Ebay, and I've already tried Craigslist a few times with little to no luck.
    Thanks in advance. ^^

2. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

Hi, I'm in the same situation you're in. I found the same website and they offered me close to $500 (the going rate for my laptop is around $600 on ebay). That website seems too good to be true, I'm worried they'll take my laptop and never send me the cash. Let me know if you find anything, I'm trying to get rid of my laptop too for a new MacBook.

3. Losium thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been trying to find out more information on this website, but I'm not turning up all too much. The better business bureu has a listing for it with only one complaint that was closed because the person complaining didn't have sufficient evidence.
    Looking for information with google turns up very little as well, because they advertise on tons of websites. With google I just end up getting pages because they have the link on it.

Hey Mods, Cashforlaptops.com was advertised on your site (not 100% sure but I really think this is where I found it) Since they pay you to advertise, I would assume you have a slight amount of information on them?

4. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If I were in your position I'd opt for the eBay route, thats where laptops seem to fetch the best prices....other places seem to rip you off....

SHadoW

5. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Ebay would be better...

Yes, I think Ebay would definitely be a much better choice for you.

I used that website to see what my laptop (which is 9 months old, paid $1,300) and they claim it is only worth $320. Hmmm....that does not seem right to me.

6. Hunts121 macrumors regular

Hunts121

the powerbook listed in sig was quoted at 430....somehow I think its worth a little bit more than that...well maybe :confused:

7. Psycdude macrumors member

I used cashforlaptops recently, as I sold my IBM/Lenovo X60. I did some investigation first, including checking with the better business bureau; as well as reading this thread. Still I took the leap, got a reasonable quote (about $60 bucks less than ebay) and they sent me the foam packaging.

I sent them the Laptop, waited and although they confirmed my quote and sent a check, I never received it. I was worried, after 1 call and an email; the guy replied to both and said he would re-issue the check.
    Two days later it arrived via Fed Ex.

Overall in my opinion they are a very legit company, with good customer service. The $440 I got for my crappy Vista lenovo laptop, made my macbook purchase even easier.

8. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

They tend to offer you less for what its worth.

Definately ebay.

Similar thing to envirofone