Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I ordered a retina MBP and would like to put my old MBP on craigslist with Yosemite installed, will it be linked to my Apple ID and is there a way to unlink it or install it without an ID? I remember there was an issue with people that downloaded a beta version of OSX getting some guy's App Store notifications because the OS was linked to his ID.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to wipe the drive and clean install Yosemite. Afterward, if you don't create an account, it won't be linked to your Apple ID.

Reactions: Weaselboy

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Before selling, and after making a backup and/or transferring to your new system, boot into the recovery partition and use the disk utility to reformat the main disk partition. This will delete all your personal account data and information from browsers, iCloud, iTunes, and so on. The next owner will need need to enter their account information to get later OS updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.