Selling on Craigslist..look like a scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleGuy08, Jun 25, 2006.

1. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Hey all, i know the people here @ MR are great scam detectors...so take a look @ this email i got from this guy.

Thanks for the response, I am very much interested in this item & i will be paying you through AlertPay Money order.So for the payment to commence all i need from you is your full name & your payment address where you want the money to be sent to by them and you will recieve a confirmation of payemt immediately my payment has been approved by them aslo and for me to be winnig bidder i wil offer you(390)for Sony PSP SUPER Bundle (Barley Used) GREAT DEAL so that we can end the auction earlier.So for the shipping i will be responsible for that,and i will be picking up the item with My personal fedex account upon reciept of confirmation of payment order approved.So get back to me on time with the information of payment order approved.So get back to me on time with the information needed for the payment to commence fast.Hope to read from you soonest.
    Thanks...

He wants to buy my PSP. Tell me what you think.

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Scam. This could hardly be any more symptomatic of a scam... offering to pay via money order, offering to pay for the item to be shipped, horrible stilted English, etc.

Report this jerk-off's e-mail address to Craigslist.

3. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Definetly...thank you lol. I mean, this just isn't how you go about buying things.

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

That's a scam.
    Don't sell him the item.
    Not only is it scamy because of the very fishy payment methods.
    The grammar is horrible. Whenever the scammer uses a punctuation mark, he doesn't use a space. That seems to be a trend in scam emails.

I'll bet anything the it was sent form one of those scamming countries.

Stay away.

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm not sure why, but I find it strange that this guy would start two consecutive sentences with the same ten words. It's almost as if his identity in it's entirety consists of no more than poorly programmed automation attempting to carry out a scam of some sort.

6. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yah..this is amazing..i think i just received another email like this from someone else. Nobody that scams uses correct english! I noticed that with all of these e-mails these people send. I'm using the mail app on the mac, and they all have very fake names. Like: Melvin Kay..and Jenifer Brown. I've never seen "Jenifier" spelled with one n, granted there probably are people with that name like that, but yah. I think you all catch my drift.

Here is "Jenifer Brown's" email:

Hello,
    Just need to know the percentage (%) working condition of the above item and likewise your asking price before finalizing on payment.Looking forward in doing business with you.
    Jenifer.

See..it sounds like a normal girl here from sacramento...but i cant ignore that line...look forward IN doing business with you.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I hate when people do that!

I was at a resturaunt the other day and the menu was written like that... :rolleyes:

Cheeseburger
    Quarter pound of beef,lettu
    ce,cheese,pickles,onion,may
    onnaise.

A comma is not a replacement for a space!

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Craigslist is easiest to catch scams.

People who aren't in the area, aren't going to be your friends.
    I've sold one item (iMac G4) on Craigslist, and I refused several people because they didn't want to do the transaction in person.
    I ended up selling it for $525 cash, and the dude even picked it up :cool:

9. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Yah i love going to pick stuff up. Thats how i bought my big subs for the car :cool:

10. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Notice the lack of space after "payment".

11. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

lol Yah i saw that. Also, i just got this email from her or him a few mintues ago and it sounds just like the first one i posted. What a joke these people are.

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I don't thin it's best to let this attribute of some scam emails be mistaken for a sure sign of a scam. I happen to know plenty of people who type like that, which is how I know it annoys me so much. :D

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's probably some guy in Nigeria. Seems like a lot of these scams involve Nigeria.

14. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

Hah yah. I just posted it on ebay, already got 2 scam emails...they all want to use western union or something. Geez

15. imacintel macrumors 68000

One other thing, it seems so businesssy. Seems too formal.

16. AppleGuy08 thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

HAHA, look @ this one i just got a few minutes ago. He says hed call but hes...wait for it...."DEAF." HAHAHA

Thanks for the mail scine you have assured me that it still available i would have love to call you but i can't talk am deaf .I will like you to know that am buying it for someone very special to me who is about to travel in a week time and am totally ok with the price ... so get back to me if you are willing to sell the item to me with your full name and address so that i can proceed with the payment through USPS known as the united state postal money order. And i will like to offer you $380.Thanks kindly mail back with your name and address so that i can proceed back for more enquiries.....

What a joke!