Semester at Sea

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, May 5, 2004.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I was going to ask the fellow macrumor members if they themselves or know friends that have attented the Semester at Sea program. I was planning a trip to Thailand, but because or recent Muslim uprisings and terroristic threats to the islands I would be staing in I have cancelled my trip. I was considering Iceland or Holland to just party and have a good time, but my mom gave me a better idea.

Basically I will get to visit 9 countries plus Alaska on a 65 day journet with 400 other students. I'll take classes and get college credit. I look at it as I get to hang with a bunch of people that I will become friends with, meet some ladies ;), have drinking and nightlife club time with my R&R in some cities, get credit towards my business degree, and most importantly see many parts of the world which excites me like no other. Pretty much a kick ass summer school.

http://www.semesteratsea.com/voyages/summer2004/su2004_itinerary.html

iJon

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

london semester, japan mba

while at cal poly, i went on a quarter away to london...it was a great lifetime experience...general ed undergrad units only...and i think the cost back in '85 was $10,000 dollars

my b-school had a second year away, of an mba program...9 months in honolulu, 3 months in japan but one had to finish first year of grad school stateside first on campus in california and then apply for the japan program, and it costs a lot more

i wish i took that option but i would have put myself into serious debt ;)

if you are going to get college credit for your semester at sea, while you are still in high school, then by all means go for it...besides being a great trip, it will also put you ahead in college units

3. acidrock macrumors 6502

I have a cousin that did a semster at sea, She really loved it and had a great time. I don't think they'd be too happy with drinking at night clubs, but it would be a great experience. I wanted to do it also, but the courses they offered were more coultural and would not have helped me in my degree. But if it works for you, go for it. -n

4. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Actually when I think of it I probably wouldn't go visit night clubs, but I might. If it's forbidden or something I wouldn't push their buttons or anything. I will probably be to worn out from the day's activities to go dance at a club, plus I can always drink and party when I get back to the states.

iJon

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in the usa, drinking age is 21, the highest in the world...many countires have anywhere from 16 to 18 year old law, and some have no under age law

6. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well from looking at it, i figured hong kong would have some pretty awesome night clubs to get dance and get a drink.

iJon

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I heard Spain is pretty sweet. If you haven't been to Europe, I would go there too. What about the Carribean? That would be sick. Jamaica too.

[Edit] - Heh, didn't see the link with the countries. Seems pretty cool, but Alaska twice? Whats up with that? I am sure it is an awesome place, but I would rather go to Europe or somewhere warm.

8. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well the trip is already planned out, so i have no choice on where we go. now what i will do is take side trips in certain countries. i plan on taking the planned trip to hiroshima when we land in japan, but then take my own side trip and go stay in tokyo for a while.

iJon

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

spain is my favorite place to be after my home. barcelona alone is worth a trip to spain. I would almost call it a perfect city.

10. acidrock macrumors 6502

hey are you sure it's not to late to apply, they said you had to order books on May 15th I think. The courses they're offering this summer look so cool, I wish I knew they had a summer program, I would have totally done it. Hope you have a great time if you go, it looks cool

11. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Wow i would love to be able to do that. Also they have a seminar at sea for Winter Break, too bad i couldn't get my parents or take out a educational loan to go on a cruise. Oh well im hoping to go on one on my last spring break as a present to my girlfriend and myself for all of the hard work we put into our schooling. Oh well wish they had courses i could use then i could have found a way to go on the semester at sea one.

12. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

nope, you would think it full. first they say they still have room on the summer cruise. they say that the summer cruise fills up the least. take about 400 people. the stop taking applicaions for a current semester 1 month before sailing out, i sent mine in yesterday. they said they still have spots for summer filling up a couple of weeks before sail, while other semester fill up months in advance, so although im late in the game i still have a good chance, ill know in a week or two.

iJon

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i am confused...

there are two different sea programs.
    one is called semester at sea- you go around on a cruise boat and stop at different places

one is called sea semester- you sail a sailboat from point to point in a group of about 25-30

which are you doing?

i have friends that have done each. the sailing one sounds much more educational to me than the cruise ship- at least from what i have heard

14. acidrock macrumors 6502

he's doing the semester at sea on a cruise ship. I think my college only accepts credit from teh sea semester, unfortunately!

15. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Definitely do it! My brother did a SAS trip and it changed his life. The stories and photos he brought back were absolutely incredible! My fav two stories were about camping in the Eqyptian desert while on a camel caravan trip, and having every single person in an Indian village stop and stare at him. He is a big guy with with very blonde hair. He told of times when it was just so cool to be on the ship. And to calm any fears you may have, they have such flexibility that they could call into a different port if there was any threat of trouble at a scheduled one.

one more thing, drinking is strictly forbidden on the ship for those under 21. My brother also told stories of people breaking that rule and being left in some far-flung port to make their own way home.

16. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

oh i know it would be forbidden on the ship, and i wouldnt mess with that. now I will drink when i port in a city and go do my own thing, especially in hong kong and tokyo. as for what im doing for the people commenting earlier, its semester at sea. ill be with 400 people for 65 days i believe, should be a hell of a time.

iJon

17. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Sem at Sea

A long post

I know alot of people that went on Semester at Sea and they all loved it.

Some of them also did a semester or year in Europe a few years after Semester At Sea(SAS). While they loved SAS, they thought that spending a semester or year in the same place, was much more rewarding. SAS, is a great experience but alttle superficial, bc you see some many places, but don't really get an indepth understanding of the cultures, at least in comparison to living in one country for 12-16 weeks. I am not bashing SAS at all, just noting that they are very different experiences.

You also have to consider what you really want to do. Just you want to drink beer and party? (There's no problem with that :) Do you want to hang out with mainly Americans, or meet people from other countries? If you do SAS you are going to spend 99% of your time with other Americans.

Obviously, your fav book, The Beach, has influenced you to go to SE Asia.

You mention Holland, also. Smoking pot in Amsterdam is cool for a couple of days, but it gets old.

If your parents are willing to lend/give you the money, grab a buddy and a backpack and hit Europe.

I am personally biased bc I spent 2 years of college in Europe.
    This is what I would do if I were you ;)
    I would look in Let's GO and other travel books.
    Find out all the Parties and Festivals and hit them all :)
    some are:
    Edinborough Festival

Berlin Love Parade (a 3 day rave party and parade in the streets of Berlin, you'll see things you've only dreamed of ;)

Budapest (Pepsi Sziget, a 7 day music festival on an island in the middle of Budapest, music fom 2pm till 5am everyday)

Budapest Parade (a crazy but not as crazy as Berlin parade)

Romanian Medevil Festival

Krackow Poland (Cool old town area that wasn't damaged in WWII, and Auschwitz Concentration Camp)

Prague is great anytime

Paris (the last 2 days of the Tour de France is a crazy party)

Black Sea Coast in Romania (I have never seen so many half-naked beautiful women in my LIFE ;) sorry mind in the gutter ;)

Estonia
    Latvia
    the new EU countries.

The book and movie "The Beach" ruined Thailand for a friend of mine. She said it was all just a bunch of Brits, Kiwis, Aussies, and drunk immature Americans. She left after a month, this was last year, and went to India instead. She said that Thailand is "soo played out" meaning it was probably alot better before the book and movie came out. Those caused more tourism and raised the prices (which are still relatively cheep.)

I am much more an "off the beaten path" (like Thailand used to be) type of person. I learned that about myself after spending a semester in Florence, Italy. The place is flooded with Americans, loud drunk ones. (I was a drunk one, but not a loud one;)

I prefer to go to places where there aren't many Americans. Just my preference, bc you get more opportunities to meet the locals.

Good Luck on your SAS app.
    If you go on SAS, it will wet your appetite for more travel and possibly studying abroad.
    Travel is one of the most educational and life changing things you can do, and it will make you a more rounded person.

Good Luck

18. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

oh trust me, on a trip like this i dont want to get drunk and party. i simply want to visit some of the clubs and see what the nightlife is like in these huge cities, drink reasonably, not get drunk, especially in town i dont know. my mom did the studying overseas as well, and i plan to do more of it. this will be a great way for me to check out many countries in trip and get an idea of what i might enjoy and dont. i plan on taking full advantage of the planned events they have for each city, so i can have an informative guided tour and learn a great amount. i may consider holland or some place in europe for spring break, simply cause too many college and high school students think mexico is the only place that exists, and personally i hate mexico. it was fun the first billion times, grandparents have a house down there so i have been there too many times. like i said, i have so much planned, this is just the start of it.

as for thailand, i know exactly what to expect. i have planned my trip to thailand down to a science over the past year. all those people she saw were probably people visiting the full moon party, which attracts 10,000 people every month, which wasn't a result of the book, plus i was going to spend much of time in bangkok along with the southern islands. all the book did for me is make me think of a place to go, and i researched from there.

iJon

19. acidrock macrumors 6502

spacepower makes a few good points that I would like to bring up. My cousin that did semester at sea, ended up with the travel bug after it. Though that might be because she hadn't traveled that much. First she wanted to go to Kenya then Mexico. She had a boyfriend and there was no way he was going with her. Funny thing is, I was like, you know I wouldn't just drop everything including your boyfriend, about a year later, he proposed. Well I don't know if I exactly knew that he would do that, but I sometimes sense these things. I knew they had been together for quite some time etc. Anyway she's getting married this summer, and as far as I can tell, isn't going to Kenya. (I have to wonder if she's going there on honeymoon, but they haven't told anyone) So be weary that you may end up with a bug, but she really was so happy after she got back. Make sure you have enough money and bags with you, you'll want to do a lot of shopping over seas -n

20. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah money isnt an issue, i plan to take a s*** load of my own though, the whole trip and side excursions are all being taken care of by the parents.

iJon

21. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Go for it

iJon

Just from reading many of your posts from the past few months, you seem very mature for your age. Did you decide on a University yet?

I didn't want to sound like i was bashing Thailand or your knowledge of it. Just stating what a friend told me. I am sure you know more abt it than I do.

Just do it (Nike)
    SAS will probably be the best experience of you life. A growing experience b4 college. If you get to enjoy the experience of SAS, you will feel much more cultured and mature than your fellow classmates when you go to University.

Enjoy your life, and take advantage of every opportunity that you can :)

Peace

22. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah i have decided on a university. well if any of you have visited my site lately you can see my standford acceptance letter on the front page. that my friends is a good ol prank ive played on my friends, cause my site is very popular amongst my high school. i made it all up, even the acceptance letter (dont ya just love photoshop) and the results have been more than humorous. I will actually be attending the university of arkansas. the only reason i am able to go on this trip is cause i took college classes through teh high school and attended the local community college in my free time, racking up myself 18 credit hours, which you need 12 to go on SAS. After SAS ill enter the uni close to being a sophmore, havent really payed attention to details.

as for thailand, i know you werent bashing it, thats what thailand is all about. its a 3rd world country (excluding big cities like bangkok and so forth) and has beautiful islands with the party scene, it can be avoided but would probably be difficult.

as of sas, i think i will have a wonderful, ive already started planning everything (assuming that i will get in, which is pretty much a asure thing). i have so much planned and in some places i plan to stay away from the field guides and just go do my own thing with people i meet on the boat. i ahve a friend in tokyo i plan to visit and more fun things to in store. as for enjoying life, there are two quotes i love from my favorite book and close favorite movie.

"everyone trys to do something different but ends up doing the same damn thing."

"people just leave home just to get somewhere and enjoy the comforts of home."

iJon

23. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well i found out i can't go anymore. you have to have 12 credit hours, and my biology only counter as 4, which i thought it was 6. now i did just finish 6 hours of other classes, but with the timeframe for this trip, they wouldn't be on my transcript in time.

im not really upset, quite relieved actually. this will get me time to sign up extremely early for the nest summer SAS, and give me plenty of time to research each place and get an idea of everywhere i want to go. it also lets me go back to my original plans for summer, since i had a good amount of stuff planned. i will also be able to go with some friends who might be interested next summer since they will have enough credit hours as well.

now i will go back and start planning just a fun trip to somewhere, maybe go back to looking at iceland, just have to do some research, and i look forward to SAS next year.

iJon

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Since you are going to have a year to prepare for your next SAS, it should make it even more rewarding. I would like to take a trip to Iceland someday also. ;)