Semi-Transaprent Finder Windows like the Terminal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcmadhatter, Oct 29, 2005.

1. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Is there anyway you can set finder windows background transparancy like you can with the terminal window?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

at this point, it is not possible that i know of. i dont even think any skins can do this.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

This is something I've always wanted. WindowShade by Unsanity does this when you "minimize" the window, so it should be possible to make it so you can still work with the window in the translucent state.

4. carpe diem macrumors 6502

You basically want to make it like the microsoft vista glass effect!!

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

The transparency effect used by the Terminal is actually useful, as you can read the text behind it, as opposite to the glass effect in Vista.

6. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Transparent terminals have been with the linux community for donkeys years

7. mcmillan macrumors 6502

I've used ShapeShifter for some time, and the only transparent theme I've found is RULER Aero. Only the title bar and toolbar are transparent if that's what you want.

8. mcmadhatter thread starter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Maybe transparent window themes is something they should include in 10.5. I like it in the terminal as I can read text behind the terminal window, and thought it would be useful for when I am typing in text pad, or doing programming.

9. steelfist macrumors 6502a

personally i don't mind having the feature, but i would rather turn it off. it would display too much things and will be distracting.

imagine writing on a paper that is completly transparant, AND writing the paper on some fancy colorful poster that is glued on top of your desk.

it would be quite annoying for me. i exagerated in the example, but that is the problem i see in too much transparancy in themes. i think it's cool, but at the same time, i don't find it practical.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Alpha blending (aka Transperancy) is very practical when using the Terminal.
    Imagine you are trying to type in some command from a webpage, you
    simply put the Terminal on top of the page and start typing as you see
    through the Terminal. I agree with you though that excessive use of it is no
    good.

11. mcmadhatter thread starter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

Yeah i think it would also be useful for progamming as i am always looking at webpage guides, and also when compiling reports from multiple datasources, I'd just have the current window I was working set to semi transparent blue or something.

I've tried using WindowShade, it's just a shame you can't set the colour and level of transparency with it.