Semi-transparent menu bar is gone in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nanotlj, Jul 28, 2011.

1. nanotlj, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2008
    Since my first use of lions a couple of days ago, I always feel something is weird for Lion desktop but I can not tell why. Now I figure out it is the menu bar. The semi-transparency is gone and I can not find the option usually sitting in the Desktop system preferences! Why, apple? Why suddenly take something way without an option after I get used to the semi-transparent menu-bar?
  2. Jakerz, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011

macrumors regular

Sep 2, 2010
  3. macrumors 68030

Jan 20, 2010
    As Jakerz pointed out, it's still there.

Mine never went away, so it's possible you or someone else (if it's a multi-person Mac) accidentally unchecked the feature.
  4. macrumors 65816

Jun 15, 2006
    It was one of the most hideous things Snow Leopard brought, and was extremely happy when they introduced the option to "solidify" it in 10.6.3/4 or so.

And I was happy Lion kept my menu bar solid..
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2008
    Weird. That option is missing in my Desktop system preferences.
    I am running Lion inside Vmware fusion on my macbook air (10.6.7). I am not sure if that is the reason.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 20, 2011
    Well, that option is there for me, lol.
  7. FSMBP, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

macrumors 68020

Jan 22, 2009
    Actually, it was brought in on 10.5 Leopard. And the "solidify" was in 10.5.2. Sorry, Apple nerd moment.
  8. macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2011
    Actually, a bug in translucent menu bar in Lion...

...I discovered that my Nature-themed current desktop on the iMac (they change every 5 minutes) had a particularly washed-out translucent menubar. I went to System Preferences for Desktop and Screensaver and toggled (twice) the above-discussed checkbox. That restored a properly more translucent menubar. A bug, right?
  9. macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2010
    Where Judas lost it's boots.
    I think that's the reason. I don't think that os x supports graphical accelerated stuff under virtual machines. Like when your running os x on an hackintosh without graphical driver support.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2011
    I have noticed a bug as well, sometimes it seem like the menu bar doesnt change with the background. i have mine set to change every 15 minutes and when I enable the translucent menu bar, it gets stuck on whatever picture is first. annoying.

also, I downloaded the obsidian menu bar. I love it, except.... the date & time are not visible and you have to download a secondary app for that. the battery does show but the percent/time do not.
  11. macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2012
    People using VMWare Fusion may experience some problems because of the lack of drivers. The option to solidify the menu bar should be there for all Macs.