Senate Approves Huge Spending Bill After Democrats' Delay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 22, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

so what were the dems protesting?

i don't see anything in those issues that favor citizens over industry.

i've not seen the bill, but let's assume senator mccain is correct. if bush signs the bill (which he likely will), what does that say about his anti-pork stance?

2. wwworry macrumors regular

I have heard it contains 10,000 items of pork. The worst ever. What's with these guys?

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

more pork then any bill before and our so called conservative president signed it. Face it this guy is a spending liberal and the democrats should be hitting him hard but there is only 1 problem, that bill had pork for everyone so what did everyone do? they signed it. Blame congress and this president for not getting the pork out of it. Its time to sweep house again. get rid of the incumbant.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

the american public is too stupid to look beyond bush et. al. saying pork is bad. the message becomes the reality.

if one simply does a 180 on everything bush says, it's pretty easy to predict what's coming next.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Mmmmmm..... 10,000 items of pork. Arggggggggggg........

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

so we get a 50 million dollar rain forest in Indiana, we get to pick up rocks on mars and the moon for billions,100 billion to remove Saddam and we have Americans with no healthcare, no jobs as Bush is giving more incentive to move factories overseas. Im ready to jump off the Independent fence and register Democrat and its because of this president.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

according to ABC news, the bill had a last minute, undebated addition -- as a favor to the NRA, the FBI will be required to destroy gun-buying records w/in 24 hours.

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

If I am not mistaken, the Brady Bill said that gun-buying records are NOT supposed to be kept at all, if its approved.

If its not approved, then the record can/should be kept as it becomes evidence for criminal prosecution.

Wonder why everyone forgets that fact.

9. wwworry macrumors regular

it also contains provisions that limit overtime pay for thousands of workers.

10. wwworry macrumors regular

actually make that millions of workers

and it relaxes media ownership rules that 97% of the public supported.

doomed until we vote them out....

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

80 million workers are involved... here is the new regulation

From a cursory read, it updates a 1949 law (duties) and 1975 law (salary). It updates the exemptions to the overtime pay to include more executive, administrative, professional, computer and sales positions. More of these types would NOT get overtime pay, is the short answer. Long answer is that the rules for determining who is exempt and who is not changes, both from the duties criteria (what they do) and the salary criteria (how much they are paid in relation to the minimum wage).

Dunno if its entirely bad. One thing I know is that it updates a law circa-FDR, so that makes me think its already bad from the start. ;)

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

13. wwworry macrumors regular

so you could also say the patriot act is a circa-Clinton law and it must be bad ;)

What it means is millions of dollars out of the pockets of workers and into the pockets of employers. It is simple and yet another wish list iitem from Bush's real constituients - big business. Cheap foriegn labor for those who can't move their plants overseas. Less corporate taxes, less regulation, more subsidies, and no overtime.

The results : fewer jobs, stagnent wages, more national debt, huge profits!

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

PATRIOT act is circa-Clinton? Are you sure about that? I thought that it was GWBush all the way.

As to FDR-era laws, I'm not the only one. The SCOTUS during that time was striking down FDR-proposed laws left and right. That much is in the history books.

Cheap foreign labor for those who CAN'T move their plants overseas? Huh? Isn't that contradictory?

Like I said, I haven't done a full read on the changes, so I will reserve judgement. It seems that you have done the full read on it, could you elaborate for us then, in gruesome detail? If not, I have provided the link. So, please, read through it before you condemn it.