Senate backs Iraq withdrawal date

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BoyBach, Mar 29, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Breaking news on the BBC website:

- BBC

2. Queso macrumors G4

Another hurdle passed. Bush must be seething right now :)

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Won't keep him from vetoing it though and Hagel just signed the death warrent to his political career in this state during this process. He couldn't run for dog catcher here right now.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Veto funding for the troops? Tut tut.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Let's see ... standing up for your beliefs even if it costs you your political career? The knave. The cretin. How could he? :rolleyes:

I've got a lot of differences with Chuck Hagel politically, but I've also admire his political courage shown by standing by what he believes in the face of intense pressure from his own party. But, swarmlord, I don't think you have looked at the polls on Iraq lately. It is the die hard republicans who won't listen to the voters who are going to pay the price of losing their seats in 2008.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- BTW swarmlord, what state is it you're from again? I want to make sure to avoid it. :)

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There's a state in the US where the majority of people support continuing the war indefinitely and think Bush is doing a good job of running the war? I doubt it.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The same one that Chuck Hagel is now persona non grata in.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the population in general, no, but the stat in question here is support among republicans.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

just curious, but what are you basing this on? anecdotal evidence, polls, op/ed pieces... ???

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, Nebraska! No worries- you won't be seeing me there anytime soon. :)

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Op/Eds, conversations with two of the members of the unicameral that I know, conversations with my neighbors and friends, co-workers, etc. I'm not saying there's not a lib to be found here or that our local rag doesn't try it's darnedest to emulate the NY Times, but just watch how successful he is in the next election whether he runs for Senator again or president.

I think he just donated his seat to Tom Osborne myself.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ahhhhh, i just learned something about the nebraska state legislature. thanks for that.

14. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I believe in the power of freedom, including the freedom to move. If Nebraska rejects men of principle, the rational or the courageous, well, those men/women are welcom to come here, to sunny California. It's a win-win. You get rid of anybody who is not a right-wing nutjob, and we gain good people.

It's funny to look at Chuck Hagel's history - a truly honorable man who fought in Vietnam and was severely wounded (unlike that draft dodging war criminal in the white house). And Nebraska hates him for going against the war criminal? For wanting us out of that quagmire and illegal occupation? Wow.

Nebraska's loss and California's gain - best of both worlds!

In general, this has been the story of the red states (often in the South, but not only). The red states (and South) has been behind the North for 150 years, and they've always voted conservative... funny, that they never connected the dots, that all the bigotry and narrowmindedness and conservatism they've held so dear, have held them back.

And all the progress and science and technology and development and economic growth has come from the "liberal/blue" states. Silicon Valley, Biotech Corridor, Aerospace, all modern industry and knowledge based economy - we attract the world's talent. It is here that people come - to our freedom, our liberalism, our openmindedness. And interestingly enough, folks with brains and creativity from red states often move here since they can't stand living in a red state anymore.

One day, the red states will have only the hardcore bigots and right-wingers remaining in a cauldron of nastiness - a toxic concentrated sludge. Everybody sensible will move to where they can strengthen the blue states.

So, Chuck Hagel - if Nebraska doesn't want you - California extends it's invitation.

Aaah, freedom :)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We'll take him in Illinois too. :)

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

errrr... i'm rather happy w/ durbin and obama.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can't we get an extra? ;)

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't move to California. California sucks. The weather is terrible, we have earthquakes daily, and the place is practically run by Communists. Seriously, leave your tourist dollars at the state line and return to your homes... ;)

19. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Oh come on, surely the movement of people has not been completed as of yet? I say we get on with it! We'll send our neo-nazis, our gaybashers, our thugs, our Minutemen and assorted right-wing bigots to Nebraska where they'll fit right in politically, and in exchange they can send their gay, liberal, educated, open-minded, lefties and artists, plus the few remaining scientists, since they have no use for them in Nebraska. Everyone will be happy, I promise :) Every state will get the people they feel most comfortable with! A one for one person exchange - that way the population won't grow here in California, and won't shrink there in Nebraska. As is, unfortunately more people move to blue states and leave red states. Better would be two-way traffic!

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You obviously don't spend much time in the OC or the Inland Empire. California is not as blue as you make it out to be...

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Very true, mac, but, of course, Nebraska isn't as "red" as swarmlord makes it out to be either. There are Democrats in Nebraska (including Senator Nelson) and it is possible after 2008 there maybe even more.

22. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I certainly do know that - which is the point of that post... I'd like to exchange our rednecks for their liberals! It would make everybody happy! I'd be ecstatic to see OC and the Inland Empire redneck free, while Nebraska would be ecstatic to get rid of their liberals and any even slightly non-right-wing sane person like Chuck Hagel! After all, we are told how Nebraska rejects Hagel now - hey, we'll take these "rejects", and they can have our "rejects".

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I have to thank those that love California and its inflated house prices so much that they bought all of mine!