Senate Changes Line of Succession

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 27, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thankfully we don't live in a monarchy, or we'd be in for some seriously grim decades.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I guess theoretically this makes some sense, but it is the names involved that scares one silly. Anyway, if we get down to a choice between Chertoff or Norton we are in deep, deep s... :eek:

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Forget who's now in any of those jobs: It seems to me that if there is need to reach down beyond fourth place, there would have been some sort of real disaster to hit the country.

For all that I fear the potential for abuse of power by such a thing as a Homeland Security Agency, it seems to me it would be among the most important agencies in a time of some dire emergency.

Could be, of course, that the whole deal is just a logical desire for order in a time of no-choice transition. Reminds me of the deal about mail delivery after a nuclear attack.

'Rat

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That line-up would work better on the wall of the post office, rather than in a presidential line of succession.

6. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

WTF?

Move Senate President (Ted "F*** ANWR, I want Money" Stevens) down a few and raise Secretary of Defense, Homeland Security, and Attourney general.

However, raising to where Rumsfeld would be put in charge could be worse than a Stevens' administration.

So how many pegs do we have to go until Democrat Norman Mineta is in charge? :p