Senate cuts last-minute deal on Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

DAMMIT! :mad:

Well, there's hope...but not much.

We'll try again in six months. :(

Link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought this might happen. We'll see what they do.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The good thing out of this is the democrats are Forcing some civil liberties protection into the bill. Something republicans could care a less about.

4. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

By next summer we'll be into the election season, won't we? I wonder why they went for a six month extension instead of a three month?

Wow. If we think the rhetoric is bad now, wait until the Republicans are pounding the national security pulpit in June. They know it's their only chance.

The Democrats may have an interesting time, especially considering what I read on huffingtonpost (i know, i know) about the DLC backing Bush on his domestic spying. Someone really needs to smack that "leadership" council. Preferably Dean.

So there it is. Will the Democrats fight for our civil liberties? Or will the Republicans accuse them of destroying national security and make their balls crawl back up into their bodies?

Time will tell, I suppose.

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Ah hell. I'm no republican (nor am I a dem) but it isn't hard to see that this is in some way or fashion going to allow MR. Bush another fantastic opportunity to screw us.

This patriot act si no good as it is now. I hope to "God" that we can get this thing sorted out sooner than later, preferably before that lousy bastard leaves office.

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

We are only making this Act in response to the attack on our citizens. It will be only temporary as the government decides and creates ways to combat terrorism. THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY WE PROMISE.

Remember that?

Douchebag politicians, the real anti-americans.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The House has thrown a wrench into this one, now giving it a 1 month extension. The biggest threat our nation faces are from the knuckleheads who are screwing up our country and the constitution and bill of rights for the appearence of doing something on the war on terror. We dont need a police state written in stone what we need is for the clowns in congress to stop letting these people in the country and start enforcing our borders.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i heard on npr that sensen brenner is behind the plan to make it 1 month instead of 6.

mr brenner is, imo, a grade A jackass, of the ilk that questioning bush is akin to treason. so something is definitely up w/ his move.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I know almost nothing of this guy but he had said that he wanted these issues addressed, given a 6 month extensions the clowns in congress would do nothing until the last minute and then they would be in the same situation they are now. So next month we have to go through all this again:rolleyes:

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that's his stated reason, yes, but i bet there's something else going on.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

These days that seems to allways be the case from the republicans. I hate to say i dont trust them but after seeing everything they have pulled the past 5 years I DONT TRUST THEM.:eek:

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's Sensenbrenner. First name James I believe. You are correct about the grade of jackass; however.

I'm guessing Mr. Sensenbrenner wants as little time as possibe between now and the next time a tactic is used to try and ram this through Congress.

I would suspect he thinks the American public will be paying more attention to the Alito hearings and the subsequent domestic-wiretapping hearings that will occur in January than the PATRIOT act legislation.

Or maybe he just really wanted to go home to celebrate Baby God Day with the family...

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, so it is. slightly chagrined here, but thanks.