Senate goes into rare closed session; Democrats question Iraq data

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Better late than never, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Nice to see the Dems developing a spine about this finally. They apparently smell blood in the water.

Also nice to see the Republicans squirming and whining for a change. I feel their pain. ;)

Linque

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I was amazed that Frist flew off the handle like that. He must really fear that this may be an effective tactic to get an investigation into pre-war intelligence going.

Whaaaa! It's an unprecedented move by the Democrats! I guess Frist forgot that he broke protocol by campaigning against the opposition party's leader in their home state.

I suppose he also thinks that eliminating the filibuster isn't really a slap in the face (or unprecedented for that matter.)

We'll see... maybe this will finally get an investigation going.

Although as political theater, it's a great move. I haven't heard anything about Alito in the last couple hours. Considering I didn't hear much about the Libby/Plame affair on the news all morning, this is some brilliant jiu-jitsu on Reid's part.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i like this reid guy.

there are a few solid, choice dems out there. let's hope they get the rest of them in gear.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good for the Democrats, George Bush and his gang have pissed all over the Constitution of the United States, they have done the same with the Bill of Rights and Geneva Convention and created the Iraq war out of 911. Though iam not democrat we need to grab back our Libertys & Freedoms and Due process from a executive branch thats out of control due to the fact we have a republican ran Govt. Go Democrats!

I'm Independent:D Now after 5 years of crap.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wow... pot, meet kettle. Good on them (finally). Here's hoping something actually comes of this. If nothing else than to get people talking again. I'll bet Reid is in the running for Pres in '08. Here's hoping they don't make the same mistake they did last time. Putting him out up front, then knocking him down, only to go with the "safe" bet who loses to whatever nut the neocons pick. I think this is why all the talk about Hillary running. They know she can't win, and she's an easy target, so they can focus on the real candidates. Reid is actually quite moderate and principled (as far as I know). He's one of my picks.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, frist's reaction is something. i wonder which videotape he watched to come up with that analysis :)

7. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

they do smell blood in the water, i just hope this isn't all six months too soon, if you know what i mean. i don't know if the dems have the right personnel to keep the heat on through election time. reid seems spunky, but he's a hair away from being branded the next howard dean. i hope barrak obama finds a way to sneak his critical yet understanding and intelligent approach here- that's a tactic i'd think the dems could ride to majorities next fall.

also, don't blow your wad, guys. the new scotus nominee is quite a qualified sleaze, and it's going to take a lot to derail him (which i think is just as important as cleaning out the iraq stuff)

off topic speaking as someone who's been here for a couple years, i'd just like to say don'thurtme's transformation has been interesting to witness.

when igary said that thing about "your democrats" to him the other day, it just struck me how much dhm's outlook has changed over the years.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is good, does anyone doubt that the intelligence released wasnt shaped and manipulated to get us in Iraq, and for all those dummies who listen to George, the guys who did 911 were Saudi's they werent Iraqi's though George and the gang would want you to think otherwise. Our sons and daughters getting killed for Spin, over 2,000 dead, 15,000 injured! and for what a bunch G.D. Lies and Haliburton.:mad:

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes! Way to go! They need to keep the heat on these idiots and get to the bottom of this BS. If this continues and we find out what we all suspect to be true, this could be the beginning of the end for Emperor Bush and Darth Cheney. Let's hope, anyway.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Today the papers are reporting that The CIA has secret detention facilities all over the world. Im more scared of our govt then i ever was of Bin Laden.The Patriot Act is clearly against the Constitution of the United States. I thought we were for Liberty,Freedom and Justice,,,,, not for the Secret Police State that seems to do whatever the heck it wants.

11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

If they can make this thing run for long enough could this be the equivalent to not voting on the SCOTUS nominee and sort of like an indirect filibuster?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think so. The Democrats are simply using the political momentum they gained after the Libby indictments to force the release the report from the second phase of this investigation. The first report came out so long ago, hardly anyone even remembers that there was supposed to be a second.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The first report was on intelligence failures leading up the war in Iraq. The second was supposed to be about how intelligence was used by the White House et al.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You mean how lack of intelligence was manipulated to fool Congress and the American people. Why has it taken a year and a half ? Im glad as hell the Democrats are forcing the issue. We have our troops getting killed everyday for this spun up war of Cheneys and Haliburton, we have a big Bill that our grandkids will be stuck with. 911 had the whole world at our side, George Bush has done his best to remove all that good will. Leadership:rolleyes:

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reid's speech can be found here:

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If the Dems are smart enough, they'll go for a Biden/Reid ticket in '08. Unless the Republicans are smart enough to go with McCain, they might actually have a chance. Finally, I think this is what we've been waiting for. Now if only we'd hear more about it from the "liberal" media.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Where has this guy been hiding for the last couple of years? He certainly has a way with words.

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm just glad Reid and the Senate Democratic leadership is showing some spine. It's about time. I'm hopeful this bodes well not only for making the Senate Intelligence committee follow through on its Phase II investigation, but also for opposition to Alito and other upcoming fights.

20. tristan macrumors 6502a

Imagine a movie where the White House fixed intelligence "facts" around policy to start a war and punished people who dissented. You would expect that in the last twenty minutes, everyone would find out the truth, and the administration would be devastated and half the people would go to jail. It's just the logical conclusion.

If instead, you made the same movie, and everybody found out the truth, and nobody got fired, the war didn't end, and the outgoing CIA head got the medal of freedom, everyone would be throwing popcorn at the screen saying "that's B.S. where's the justice". Yet, here we are.

I applaud the senate leadership, but this is in some ways too little too late. In a sane world, a grand jury should have been handing out dozens of indictments a year ago on charges ranging from lying to congress to treason.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Your last sentence calls to mind the article yesterday by E.J. Dionne.

Washington Post