Senate OKs detainee interrogation bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 28, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

the AP article hints at the democratic concerns, but let's look a little deeper at how the GOP senators, once again, confuse their oversight job with being lackeys (from a statement by harry reid):

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And the list of "gutless Dems" who've decided Karl Rove is scarier than history's derision:
    Tom Carper (Del.)
    Tim Johnson (S.D.)
    Mary Landrieu (La.)
    Frank Lautenberg (N.J.)
    Bob Menendez (N.J)
    Bill Nelson (Fla.)
    Ben Nelson (Neb.)
    Pryor (Ark.)
    Jay Rockefeller (W. Va.)
    Ken Salazar (Co.)
    Debbie Stabenow (Mich.)

Gutless Connecticut for Liebermans saying Aye:
    Joe Lieberman (Conn.)

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

how sad, look back 10 years from now, this is the very moment American lost its moral high ground. GOP is the killer of the American's civilization.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i'd say that moment, whenever it was, has *long* passed.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

at the end of the day, all politicians, when general population become dumb, the politics going down, they manipulate people's weakness rather than "lead" into the future, you know the system is not working. All you can do now is "vote for the less evil one"

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

7. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

So your country is run by a corrupt overclass of the wealthy, business interests, and the politicians who serve them.

That's news?

I guess the good news is that if you're white and reasonably well off, this law will never be used against you (and for most Republicans the argument stops there). On the other hand, if things get worse, I could see this law being used against black civil rights activists and other "terrorists" who protest the social order.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, but now it's official. We have become what we hate. I knew they were capable of such things, and it's been going on for a while, but to actually make it legal...

This sickens me so much, I don't even have the words. There is no justification for this. None.

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I haven't had time to explore the specifics, but Bush wanted congressional approval
    for warrantless wire tapping to be retroactive.

This would be used to protect himself and his minions from prosecution.

The Bill passed giving HIM the power to decided what measures can be used in interrogation and preventing uncharged detainees from having the right to know what they are being held for, makes us worse than any dictator government in the past.

This will not make America SAFER!

It will make us hated even more.

Heil Bush!

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I predict that this legislation will be struck down by the Supreme Court, but not before this administration has tortured many more people, many of whom will be innocent, and several of whom will be "domestic enemies". I further predict that this legislation will go down in the annals of history with the Alien and Sedition Act, and the laws permitting the internment of Japanese-Americans. History will judge this congress, and this president, very harshly for these acts.

A majority of our legislators sold America's soul today for their own selfish electoral desires. :(

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Dammit people, WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS!

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this shows that so called "moderate republicans" and "good guy McCain" are all bullsh*t, GOP is GOP, nothing good can come from GOP

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Apparently none of them on either side are worth a damn!

I honestly hope every last one of you that takes the time to post in these forums, will also take a few moments to write your representatives voicing your personal views.

People need to read the fine print on the warrantless evesdropping bill and the interrogation bill.

I am now growing even more concerned about the security of these upcoming
    congressional elections.

I think it's safe to say that these criminals will stop at nothing to stay in power.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

You know, Bush is under the impression that History will judge him well. :rolleyes:

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

thats because he never read history textbook

16. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Since when?

17. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Shouldn't there be giant headlines in all the papers?

TERRORISTS WIN! CONSTITUTION SUSPENDED, HUMAN DECENCY ABANDONED!

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The media is asleep at the wheel. They aren't going to do anything, any more than the majority of America who either supports it or doesn't care. I only hope it will be struck down by the courts, but who knows these days. I'm shocked it even went this far. Besides being against the Geneva Convention, and the Constitution (in more ways than you'd think, people forget that it's against the laws of this country to have retroactive legislation like this), this is officially beyond Nixon territory. Everyone is so afraid to toss the term Nazi and Hitler around so casually, but this is in essence where we are heading. We have legalized torture, without due process, without oversight. We have become what we hate. Congratulations America, welcome to fascism.

First they came for the Muslims...

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You just know that Bush will try to spin this as Democrats being in favor
    of protecting the rights of terrorists.

What many people overlook is the fact that this administration has substituted
    the term Terrorist for Rebel.

As much as we all hate Karl Rove, it's hard to ignore the fact that he is a master
    at finding the most offensive sound bite terms one can come up with to stir up their Fundie base.

Unfortunately, now any American captured in a foreign land is in danger.

Bush has openly admitted that our CIA tortures people or that they outsource
    those methods to countries where it is permitted.

This means that no American citizen is safe in a foreign land.

Not soldiers, tourists or journalists.

Any country or political faction that is so inclined can claim that any individual is suspected of being a spy.

They can incarcerate and torture anyone at will if they so choose.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I believe the word of choice for the attack at the moment is "coddling".

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Some Democrats were not protecting the rights of terrorists. (See "gutless dems") So any statement saying Dems are soft is BS, only some are softies. :p Bush needs to be specific. (not gonna happen)

This just started now?

Wouldn't suprise me if other countries did the same.

Yep, any country.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nope.

No, but we've just joined the club.

So you're saying that you're OK as long as our behavior isn't worse than the worst the rest of the world has to offer?

Only now we won't have the moral or legal defenses to try to get another country to stop.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush got just about everything he wanted from Congress -- but I wonder, if the Democrats take the House in November, if the habeas corpus debate won't be reopened.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Worse, any American anywhere is in danger. Our own gov can call you a terrorist and lock you up and do whatever they want to you without you ever getting a lawyer or trial or anyone even knowing where you are. Not that they couldn't before, but now it's all legal. Still waiting for some conservative to come in here and try to defend it. I'd like to seem them try. I'm sure it'll be something about how we're all terrorist sympathizers or something, if they even try.

And I'm pretty sure Jesus was against torture, as were the Founding Fathers, just in case any one wants to try to bring that up.

25. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Jesus would be locked up as an enemy combatant just so the war machine could continue to profit from the chaos.