Senate panel says, 'No way, dude' to claim on 'Surf City' moniker

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Aug 26, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Normally I would be OUTRAGED at this outrageous waste of taxpayer dollars. But this is important.
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/26/BAG46ED67B1.DTL

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

eh, it's mildly better than congressional hearings about baseball :rolleyes: surprised "surf city usa" isn't copyrighted as part of a song or something...

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This battle between the two cities has been going on for years, and lots of tourist dollars are involved. If only there were two equivalent ways to say "Surf City" they could each have one version and share the glory, but "Surf Town" and other variations on the theme just doesn't have the same link to the Beach Boys era. Dude, how bogus is that? What a bummer.

Now I'm gonna take the woodie out to The Wedge, wax my board, catch some gnarly waves, ride the curl, hang ten, show off my spinners for the honeys, and kick out before I'm over the falls. Cowabunga!

4. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Well, thank goodness that a state legislature can overrule federal copyright. And on something so important too!

The next good thing that the state government does will be the first in at least a decade. I can't imagine another state being so poorly run.

5. vniow macrumors G4

Geez, no wonder the Santa Cruz legislature never got anything done.. :rolleyes:

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, to be fair... how often does any legislature get anything done? :p

7. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Has anyone else noticed a huge surge in the use of the word "moniker" in the media lately? Using it to describe hacker screen names for example. I don't think I've ever spoken that word out loud, nor do I know how to pronounce it. ^__^

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I, for one, can vouch for the fact that most of the time, Huntington Beach has lousy sets rolling in. IMO, neither city can really claim to be 'Surf City.' HB is way too over developed and the placement of PCH1 to the shoreline ruins the atmosphere.

If you want real beach atmosphere, try the north shore of a Hawaiian Island. Two lane roads that lead to beach bliss. The waves are incredible, especially in season.

9. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

It was better before the storm in 1988 dropped the sand bar off the shore.

HB's claim though has to do with the fact that the Beach Boys wrote the song about HB.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... stupidly, we're having the same discussion in my little area over a similar moniker problem.

Link to Stupid Problem.

Did I mention I came here from Santa Cruz? :rolleyes:

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

HB has great nightlife, Main Street is a cool place to hang out. Quiksilver is also based there, very cool. $35 a day for parking sucks though, but I used to ride my bike down to Main Street.