Senator Elect Webb & Bush

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Dont Hurt Me, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/29/webb.bush.ap/index.html Looks like the Senator came close to punching Bush when Bush asked him about his boy who is serving in Iraq. Webb is a former secretary of the Navy and a real war hero. I must admit I have wished someone would knock some sense into this president for a long time. 3,000 dead Americans, 400 billion dollars, thousands of our own now are missing limbs or are injured, over 100,000 Iraqis been killed and a country in civil war for a ............mistake? Though I doubt a Punch in the face would have knocked any sense into this president, it would have been entertaining.

2. Queso macrumors G4

I don't know though. The simultaneous cheering of six billion humans might destabilise the planet's orbit and send us all crashing into the Sun.

Which would then get blamed on the Democrats. :D

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Dude, that guy was being a jerk. Bush was trying to be nice and ask him how his son in the military was doing, and he was just trying to go off on a political rant about the whole war. The guy's wearing his son's boots, for crying out loud! Of course he wants to draw attention to his son. He just wanted an excuse to make Bush look bad, and the only thing he could find was this one bit of kindness Bush was trying to show him.

jW

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't know if I'd say that, but the exchange sounds, shall we say...terse?

I love the end of the video clip. Speaking of Webb's bluntness: "This is not how things are usually done in Washington...but it is what the people voted for."

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Bush chose to challenge him anticipating the response he got. In other words, he was looking for a fight. Pretty stupid thing for a president to do. He got exactly what he deserved.

6. toontra macrumors 6502

Wrong. Bush is the jerk for starting an illegal and unnecessary war responsible for killing tens of thousands and destabilising the whole middle-east, and then having the nerve to ask how someone's son (who he is responsible for putting in harm's way) is getting on, especially when he himself was a draft-dodger!! Get real.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You know what? That's it. Bush needs to be impeached. This after the election and he still doesn't get that people are p***ed about Iraq? Webb should have decked him.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no, he'd have gone to jail. we need him -- and the dem majority -- in the senate.

9. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its a good thing he didnt do it, Bush on the other hand has all the deaths and blood from Iraq on his hands. Its very clear to me that when the evil killer Saddam was running Iraq things were much better for its people then today. Bush is a Bum, we have a Bum for president and we elected this Bum twice. What that says about the whole election process is that its very disfunctional.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I suppose he could've said, "Well, he's getting shot at daily and can't go outside for fear of being blown sky-hgih. Pretty ******, I guess. Are you gonna do anything about it?"

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Really? :eek: Please tell me you're kidding. If someone made as many mistakes as the Pres has and put your Son in harms way for ill defined reasons, ill equipped, with no exit strategy, while cutting their benefits back home, wouldn't you be a little peeved? Why wouldn't he want to draw attention to his Son's (and the children and parents of many others) plight to the person that got them stuck there in the first place? And for Bush to answer with an even more flippant response, I don't care who he is, is unforgivable.

I posted a link to this in another thread about Bush being a jerk or doing something else awful or something. Thought about making a new thread, but figured it might not go well. Don't know why I would have thought that. :rolleyes:

I didn't think anyone could actually still defend Bush for something like this, but it just keeps happening for some reason.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Tunnel vision is such a hard thing to recover from, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Bush doesn't feel like going into Iraq was a mistake, but the right thing to do. Many people agree with him, though less and less. To Bush, making that comment would not have been a flippant thing, but possibly genuine interest in the man's son, and at the least, an attempt as some polite talk with the man. Read the comments, please. It was a very normal thing to say, the man simply had a chip on his shoulder.

Besides, did the man's son know what he was getting into when he signed up to join the Army (or Navy, or whichever branch he's in)? Unless he's a complete fool, of course he knew! That's the whole point of a military, to fight battles! You may argue that the war is wrong, but many of the soldiers disagree, and so does Bush. The comment he made to Senator Webb was not intended as flippant or malicious, it was most likely born out of the deep seated respect he has for the military, which everyone seems to ignore when they talk about him doing all these "horrible things" to our troops.

jW

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're referring to what, the "that's not what i asked you" part?

the exchange illustrates the entire problem with bush, in that his interpretation of anything is the only interpretation. he does not consider outside viewpoints, to everyone's peril. "that's not what i asked you" is a rude, close-minded and insensitive thing to say, especially to someone whose child bush has put in the line of danger. it's also a childish thing to say. if bush didn't know he was being rude when he said it, then i think even less of the man than i had before.

your unstated point is that bush, being president, automatically deserves respect. i disagree with that. the noise you make about "joining the military blah blah blah" is just that: noise. the issue here is bush's narrow-mindedness.

btw -- for someone who is a fan of Firefly and even adopts his screenname for the ship's captain, you sure don't seem to embrace that character's distrust of authority.

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The whole point of a military is to fight necessary battles. Not ones cooked up in order to cement power and draw sympathy for our poor, beleaguered "war president".

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So deep-seated that he evaded doing anything useful while in it, and has used it to further his own private fantasies at whatever cost since he became Commander-in-Chief. With that kind of deep-seated respect, who needs enemies?

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

When asked about a relative who is deployed in a conflict I think most people's response would be along the lines of "They're fine, but I sure wish they could come home." 90% of the population would probably agree with the sentiment. The fact that Bush took offense at a similar answer just goes to show how out of touch with reality he is.

I don't think Webb meant it as a "Bring him home you warmongering imbecile." I'm pretty sure it was just his standard response when asked about his son. Of course it's hard to ascertain the tone of the conversation from print but the proper response from Bush should have been something along the lines of wanting to bring all the troops home but not being possible a this time. It's not like any sane person really desires and wants wars to continue, do they? (I probably shouldn't have asked that)

17. Queso macrumors G4

There's a lot of profit in war. Just ask Halliburton or the Carlyle Group.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I realize that corporations profit from war. But on a single person, one on one conversation, would you not question the sanity of anyone who actively wanted wars to start/continue?

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Webb responded honestly and Bush, who may have sought out the Senator Elect with the idea of seeking some political points, couldn't take the criticism. Bush could have responded with something along the lines of "I understand, how's he doing?" or "I understand your feelings sir, but I think it's necessary and important to keep the troops there, but how is your son doing?" Instead, Bush couldn't even conjure up enough respect to avoid sounding like a flippant jack*ss.

Bush's respect for the military is limited, I think, he feigns great respect, but you don't send people you respect into a poorly planned conflict without the equipment necessary to do the job and allow your personal loyalty to Rumsfeld allow him to ignore the necessary requests for up-armored humvees and interceptor body-armor over a period of three years. When Marines are asking for their families to buy their body armor and NG troops are scrounging for ballistic glass in junkyards, I begin to question our president's great respect for the troops.

Webb's son is a Marine and I'm sure he understood what he was getting into, but he also may have had the delusion that the people at the top cared enough to plan for a war they sought. Then again, most Marines know better.

20. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its one thing to put your life on the line for your country when its under attack, its whole different thing when your life is on the line for some politicians dreamed up B.S. Webb put his life on the line for the politicians crap in Nam, Now his sons life is on the line for again some politicians crap in Iraq.

When did Iraq attack the U.S. ?
    If I was Iraqi I would want to attack the invaders. Bush call these people anything and everything except Iraqi. Spin & Lies from a guy who couldnt even complete his National Guard time?

Fact is we shouldnt be in Iraq but Halibutons Cheney and the Saudi's Bush put us there for spin & lies after 911. Saudi's did 911 not Iraqi's.

21. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

try sending your son to Iraq and having the cpmmander in chief of the militiary nonchalantly ask how your son is doing. listen, webb is one of the only people in our congress today who's sent his own child to war. although i'm a 100% peacenik, I could not respect him more fr that.

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Ya'll seriously believe that Bush was really trying to rub this in his face, don't you? Wow. I don't get that from the conversation at all. Of course, you're right, it's hard to tell with a written conversation the tone that it was said it, but I got the impression that Bush, either making small talk or trying to be nice to one of his opponents, asked about the Senator's son, and was answered with the standard line, "Get them out of Iraq," essentially. Obviously a bit annoyed at having a political line thrown back at him when he's trying to be nice, Bush just said, "That's not what I asked." Duh. It wasn't what he asked, and it wasn't the thing to say there either. Webb was obviously ticked that the President didn't like hearing his rant, and fired back with a rude statement again, refusing to answer the question.

Again, what do you think the Senator's son thinks about the war? If he thinks he's there for a good reason, then the Senator's being dishonest. If he doesn't then the Senator should make that point, but not simply snap at the President over a simple question.

jW

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i have an idea. how about every time bush gives a non-answer to a reporter, the reporter says, "that's not what i asked." how many times do you think bush would hear that? how many times until bush lost his temper? how quickly would every question turn into a carole coleman interview cryfest?

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Bush has been short with people who disagree with him before, and he's also known to be petulant and diffident, so I don't have a good viewpoint of Bush and a nice guy coming over with the real idea of finding out how Webb's son was doing. I think he was hoping to score some early political points with the new Dems, but when he was rebuffed by reality he lost it a little. Webb, by the way, didn't rant, but said he wanted his son to come home.

Maybe this is one of those political Roschach tests, we see the situation through our own political lens.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You tell me.

Are you disputing anything I said, because I will gladly back all of it up if asked. I don't think Bush meant anything by the original question, but Webb was absolutely in his right to give the response he did. He wanted to take Bush to task for what he has done to keep his Son in harms way. What Parent wouldn't. Whether you think the war is a good things or not, who would ignore all of the mistakes made and all of the troops being hurt because of those mistakes and incompetencies. Based on Bush's reply, which sounded pretty rude to me, and I can't believe you're actually trying to defend, sounds like it's something more people need to do to his face, to confront him with the reality of the situation. To think Webb is just playing politics and doesn't genuinely get angry at what is being done to his Son, but that Bush isn't playing politics and that second comment wasn't flippant, is just naive. Someone confronted Bush with a reality he didn't like, and he got pissy. All there is to it. And it's not like this is some lone incident, it's a pattern, and a lot of us, including Jim Webb, are getting sick of it.

But hey, Bush can say and do whatever he wants, and how dare someone who's Son volunteered to be cannon fodder in a poorly planned and executed war question him with a comment about worrying about the safety of said Son. :rolleyes: