Senator says US may need compulsory service to boost Iraq force

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 20, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

that last sentiment is interesting...

2. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I hope Hagel keeps pushing this. Go Hagel, go!

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I'll have to disagree with that bit. I think there are plenty of Americans who don't understand, and that is why we're in this mess.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Perhaps if they only draft from constituencies whose Representatives voted for the Bush-Iraq War. See how fast they lose their seats.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, I've already posted in the thread "The Draft?..."

Hagel's smokin' some bad, er, "stuff".

'Rat

6. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Do we need a draft? No. Recruitment levels are high enough to meet current demand. There has been no significant decline in military recruitment since the start of the action in Iraq. In fact, recruitment went up after the 9/11 attacks.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, in answer to your question of me on the related but closed thread, yes, "all". It's cheaper than reinstituting the Draft, after all, $99K per grunt or no. Expansion of a bureaucratic effort will add to present costs. And, politically, it's a helluva lot less expensive than being a proponent.

'Rat

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh so NOW you are for an expanded troop presence huh. I thought you were one of those who said we could do this with the forces we had?

9. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

He is flip-flopping :D

10. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Bit unrelated but why does it say you have 0 posts Rat? And you slyhunter, it says you only have 7 and you are both still newbies, wtf?

is this the case for anyone else or is it just me?

Attached Files:

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you only post in the political section you will never get beyond zero. Posts here don't count. What those numbers mean is that 'Rat has never ventured outside this forum, and Sly has only posted 7 times in the non-political sections of this forum. Probably because both are PC users.

12. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Scum!! ;) :D :eek:

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol, I wasn't trying to say that, I was just trying to explain their lack of interest in the rest of our fine site.

14. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

Repeating what I've said previously in another post. I did a google search for "forums iraq war" and this was like 3rd on the list. I did not come to this forum to discuss computers I do that on other forums. This is not the only forum I frequent.

15. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Maybe they own iPods? Maybe there is a link from the iTunes Store to the Political Board at MacRumors?

Hey, I got it: why doesn't MacRumors charge admission to people who can't prove they own a Mac? (Make them submit a GarageBand tune as proof.)

16. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

hehe, I was only kidding, you have every right to use whatever kind of computer you want. I didn't know about the political forum not working with post counts, no wonder mine hasn't gone up for bloody ages.

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I like that my post count (which is non-existant) has no relationship to posting on political forums. That way no one can accuse me of posting here just to get the numbers up :D

18. Desertrat macrumors newbie

'Scuse the heck out of me, but how does pointing out the lack of a need for a Draft, or pointing out other options to increase available manpower in Iraq translate to advocacy of increasing manpower in Iraq? Duh?

Since when does an effort to explain a "How to..." somehow become a "We oughta!"?

All a computer is to me is a tool. My usage is mostly for meddling around on the Internet; email, and writing snail-mail letters. Otherwise, the "My Pictures" folder pretty much ends my interest. Whatever's simple and cheap and works is plenty good enough for my purposes. A buddy of mine gave me an old PC with Windows 3.1, years ago, so I've just sorta naturally stayed in that playground. I wasn't gonna argue with a guy who'd been into computer stuff since the days of punch cards...

:), 'Rat

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

'Rat, you didn't need to be afraid to argue with him, that doesn't mean he was going to punch you! ;)

You're not still using Windows 3.1 are you?

20. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Sacrilege!! Oh the humanity!! A man who fallen from the alter of Mac!! (wow, six exclamation points in one post.) We must buy this boy a copy of Soundtrack or Final Cut Pro and get him on the righteous path of Mac-dom. ;)

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

:) Naw, Windows 98 on the Terlingua computer (From Tiger in 1997); ME on this one here in Thomasville.

That old 3.1 with a faster chip and more memory (It was a 386, and had about 100 megs) would be plenty good for what I do. I think the Terlinguoid to whom I gave it is still using it...

From what I hear/read, computers for a lot of folks are sorta like race cars to that crowd: Ya always wanna work up to something faster. Heck, a 200 mph Formula A car was a lot more fun than a 90mph VW-powered Formula V!

'Rat

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

ME?? <shivers>

Well if that computer goes before you do 'Rat, let's talk about OS X. After all, I've been around computers almost since the days of punch cards!

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The ME computer is a replacement. My wife was playing Mahjongg, and a very-nearby lightning strike blew through all the protections.

Anyhow, Word 97 was more user-friendly, IMO, than the version that came with ME. Same for the Money program; older was better. IOW, MS is adding sizzle, but no more meat...

Another thing I've noticed is that if either computer is left turned on for several hours, and I've logged off the Internet and then later log back on: Before long, something is gonna lock up. It takes a restart to get unlocked.

'Rat

24. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

my VW is 90 hp, actually. but i need a fast computer to run protools.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i need a computer just fast enough to be faster than yours