Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But it's ok, it's Apple. If this was Google collecting this information, you guys would be up in arms.

If this was Google it wouldn't be a story because there is no grandstand value for a U.S. Senator there. Franken knows Apple gets headlines and he want's in.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
Tim should just fire a letter right back asking about all the privacy intrusions the government has been wrapped up in and kindly ask him to get his own house in order before he starts hounding Apple over something as stupid as fingerprints.

volfan615

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Just read this story... Are you ***** kidding me! A senator concerned about privacy??? How ironic. Maybe he should start with the NSA.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Can you READ? Apple has been emphatic that it is not collecting ANYTHING with regard to fingerprint data. The fingerprint data is stored on the individual's device in an encrypted form. The fingerprint data doesn't get transmitted to any servers, it's not stored in iCloud, it's not collected in any way. THERE IS NOTHING TO BE UP IN ARMS ABOUT!

But you are correct, if it was Google doing it, Google would DEFINITELY be trying to collect it!

Mark

I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Or maybe you can't read? Do you believe everything someone tells you?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/04/20/iphone.tracking/index.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13145562

Remember this? When someone uncovered that Apple was tracking users and saving the history on the phone? I guess you don't remember when it was uncovered that the NSA was able to access Apples servers and can track individual users either.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/6/44...-apple-google-facebook-microsoft-others-prism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/09/nsa-steve-jobs_n_3895375.html

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
My fingerprints are ALL over it.

Yes, if someone gets access to my iPhone they have access to my fingerprint data. My fingers have been all over it!!!

Not just one finger, all my fingers have left fingerprints all over the phone.

The same goes for my earlier iPhones, my MacBook and my car. When I eat at a restaurant I leave fingerprints behind on the table, the receipt (with a copy of my signature!), all the flatware and dishes. Or just come get them off my doorknob or door handle from my car.

All of which would probably be easier to get than my iPhone (or than hacking it).

I'm just saying...
Gary

lisster

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
I have nothing to worry about then.
Originally from the Netherlands but emigrated to the US to be with my wife 5 years ago so the government has like 30 copies of my finger prints from every single entry into the US i made :p

If you travel, you have fingerprints on file anyhow so wtf are you worried about your iphone for ;P

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I wouldn't. I have misgivings about TouchID, but not because the NSA might get copies of your fingerprints.

As far as the NSA goes: they're going to have a heck of a time making sense of the data from the 5S, assuming they can easily gain access. They'll have no idea which finger(s) you took a print of, or know whether all the prints in your device belong to you, or other family members, or a spouse/signifcant other, or even your pet. So, good luck to the NSA on figuring all that out. As I've said before, there are more dependable methods of getting people's fingerprints that don't require getting into the internals of an iPhone.

The problem I DO have is that enabling fingerprint unlock means lack of any chance of fifth amendement protections. Let's say a law enforcement agency decides they want access to your device and its data. Maybe they think you did something wrong. Or maybe it's not because of something you did wrong, but maybe because they might've done something wrong and you recorded it, and they want to delete it. If your phone happens to be locked by passcode, it might be possible to stall or prevent them accessing the data by pleading the fifth, and refusing to divulge the passcode.

But if you have TouchID, you can't plead the fifth. They can just arrest you and use your fingers to unlock the device and get whatever they want.

It doesn't matter which finger the NSA or government gets, a finger print is a fingerprint. When they do a match, one of those prints will come up. They usually take all 5 of your prints when doing a search anyway.

On to your other point.. don't do anything illegal and you won't have anything to worry about. Nothing on my phone can be used or held against me. Sure I may have phone numbers to VP's and other execs in my company that can cost me my job - but nothing is illegal - not even music, movies, etc.

----------

You mean like when you get your driver's license at the DMV?
Most likely the government already has your fingerprint on file and, if not, there are much easier and full proof ways to get it than hacking into people's iPhones.

Fingerprints aren't taken at the DMV last I checked.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Does this guy want to look good or something. If i am not mistaken this is not the first consumer product with fingerprint technology ( example all those laptops out there come to mind) and as far as i can tell Apple has gone further to secure your identity where there device. SOOO get off there back and be logical you silly senator

Plus, Microsoft used to make an external fingerprint reader (did they have one built into a mouse too?) it'd probably be way easier to get that off an infected windows machine than my iPhone.

Gary

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
"Senator Franken gave Tim Cook and Apple thirty days to answer the questions and, though it is not a subpoena and Apple is not required to respond, the company is likely to cooperate."

why does apple have any obligation to answer these questions much less be given a time frame in which they must answer?

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
WHat do you mean NOT True. If I have physical access to the cup of water next to your bed, I can get all the fingerprint data I want. DUH!

The original question was alluding the idea that a touchscreen device could capture your fingerprint and store it on the device.... thus being able to be sent elsewhere after the capture. This isn't possible. Touchscreen technology on iPhones/iPads, etc. do not have that capability. The screen itself isn't sensitive enough to read fingerprints. Nowhere does the original poster say anything about law enforcement gaining physical access to your device and obtaining your fingerprints via conventional methods.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
So, I guess your state doesn't require a fingerprint to get a driver's license? And you don't have to provide a fingerprint when you use a Notary?

:rolleyes:

Mark

What state are you in Mark? In Virginia, the answers to your two questions are No. and God No!

But Franken is still a PoS and questionably got into office.

Tim cook just throw away that letter, you have better things to do!
/
/
/

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I don't understand the criticism of Franken here. During his time in office, he's shown himself to be a thoughtful and productive senator. Yes, he used to be a comedian, but Ronald Reagan used to be an actor.

It's Franken's job to look out for the public, and that's exactly what he's doing.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
PC laptops have had fingerprint sensors for years... Why isn't he writing Lenovo, Dell, HP?

This guy is just "concerned" to get his name in the news with a big name company like Apple and the new phone release, makes it look like he cares for his people...

I'm fairly certain that the iPhone will sell better than the Dell or HP with fingerprint reader. Also, it will be much more widely used. Fingerprint readers on PC's, due to the nature of the reader, weren't very secure, and weren't used much.

Due to Apple's security claim, we need to know how secure it is. Just because there's a hash of your fingerprint doesn't mean it can not be reversed engineered - the same way that hackers get your password from a database.

Look at it like this: If a senator used Touch ID, and misplaces his iPhone in China, is there any way that the Chinese will be able to get the senator's fingerprints? And can they use them to fake access into a secure location? Because if that's possible, there's a chance that the US Gov won't allow high ranking officials to use Touch ID.

Al Franken doesn't need this to associate his name with a "big name company", he has plenty of pull on his own.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Tim should just fire a letter right back asking about all the privacy intrusions the government has been wrapped up in and kindly ask him to get his own house in order before he starts hounding Apple over something as stupid as fingerprints.

This:

Tim should just fire a letter right back asking Franken why he is so hot for Apple to violate their customers privacy when they can't even legally even admit to it... and yet the first chance he gets Franken jumps on his own fake pedestal and accuses Apple of doing exactly what he is making them do.

Asshat.

(I am not a fanboi- far from it. But I just hate hypocrisy in any form... )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.