Senator targets surplus sales to Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 29, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

does that mean the left hand has figured out what the right hand is doing? so to speak.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I guess its bad to sell surplus F-14 tomcat surplus parts to Iran. But selling the parts to a DECOMMISIONED PLANE and making some money back it doesnt seem to be that big a deal. If anything Aquavelajad's opponents should be critizing HIM for "funding the enemy's cause". LOL

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

AP

hmm, seems the pentagon is suddenly concerned about keeping up appearances.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

How does this even work? If the US and Iran are the only two countries who operate the F-14 why would this be an issue at all. Shouldn't all spare parts for the F-14 remain in the US under the US Navy's purview? If, for nothing else, to protect the secrets of both the Phoenix missile and the radar system aboard the latest F-14?
    And people wonder why the Pentagon has little credibility in my eyes? They can't even keep track of the spare parts for one airframe, how can they be trusted with anything else? Walmart has a better idea of where their stuff is. I could understand if it was F-4 parts or even M-1 parts, but this shouldn't require a Congressional review. This should have been obvious in 1979.

5. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

While the F-14 was just decommissioned, the radar system is still impressive and frankly in any scenario where we decide to destroy Iran's nuclear facilities I'd expect that the F-14 would be part of the defensive package.

Here's a pretty good article about Iran's F-14s.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yay, help Iran get the critical parts they need for their F-14s. :rolleyes:

Just because we necked down the airframes, doesn't mean the jet isn't critical to Iran.