Send movie clip to Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickkman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rickkman macrumors newbie

I am trying to send Quicktime video clips to my daughter who is at college. She has a laptop running Windows XP. When she attempts to play the video clips she on hears the audio without the video. I have Quicktime Pro and would like to convert the video clips to something more generic to her system which I am sure has the Windows Media Player. What would be the best format to send to her?

2. sreedy macrumors 6502a

3. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

This is the expensive way to do it.

Flip For Mac

My company uses their "WMV Studio" software to convert QT to WMV files all the time. Works like a charm. The downside is that it costs $99.

4. rickkman thread starter macrumors newbie

Good thought but I'd rather not have her upgrade her software while she has the computer at school and take a chance on messing things up. I know that her Windows Media Player is up to date and I acn update her Quicktime at a later time.

5. rickkman thread starter macrumors newbie

Also probably a good thought but I was hoping for something a lot less expensive, but thanks.

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Quicktime 7 will not work in windows media player -

only way will be to upgrade her to QT7 or use VLC to play the file.

if it is not QT7 then we need more info on the video file

7. rickkman thread starter macrumors newbie

It id QT 7, is there no way to cheaply convert for Windows. If my daughter does have to upgrade her QT for my QT 7 files what will she need to be compatible for Windows QT?

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If you have Quicktime Pro, try exporting it with a different codec. I was recently recommended using Sorenson, which should be in your export list somewhere. This should allow for Quicktime 6 compatibilty.

9. rickkman thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds great. I looked at the export list but did not see a Sorenson on the list. Is there another name for the Sorenson? Thanks for your help.

10. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Choose Export, then hit 'options', then 'settings', then under 'compression type' choose sorenson. This is assuming she does at least have Quicktime 6 installed? I think she should if she has either a fairly modern XP system, or has iTunes installed. (iTunes requires Quicktime)

11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

She's going to have to grow up at some point.