Send pictures to me...how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Nov 4, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

is there any way, my sister, using a windows can send pictures over the internet to me on my mac? well, she tried zipping the file using winzip and sending through yousendit.com and gmail but it all failed...is there any way for her to send me the files? it's about 150MB...

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Do you have some webspace with your ISP?

Check how much room you have 1st, then give her the password to your web or FTP space. She can then FTP the files there with any ftp program she likes.

If you want, you can change your password just before and just after, so she can't prank you. :p

Or just snail mail her a 256 Mb USB keychain memory drive and she can mail it back to you. Or she can burn a CD-ROM and mail it to you. Or she can send them a couple at a time through gmail

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

could send it through AIM as a file transfer.

that would be easy enough right?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Or any other basic FTP program (I think they may even have widgets that do this).

Or you could just break it down into several Emails.

5. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Way to big for email. FTP is made just for that. Gmails limit is 10MB.

6. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

This is definitely the perfect time to use AIM/iChat to transfer the file. My best friend and I share photos back and forth like this all the time, and it works really well.

7. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah i tried AIM and its a bit slow..cos she shares the internet connection with her friend and her friend is constantly downloading stuffs off the interne and her connection is pretty poor...i'll pretty much ask her to spread the file and send through IM and try it out...thnx...my sis doesn't know how to set up an FTP (she's new to computer n stuffs and wish not to learn) so FTP is pretty much not the option here...

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

FTP actually is the way to go. Once you have it setup on your Mac with port forwarding and all those goodies enabled, just send her the full URL (i.e. ftp://username:password@<IP_Address> and it'll open for her in Windows Explorer, and appear just like a normal folder, so she can then drag and drop the files.

But if her connection is shakey, there is no other good way to send them online.

If you can get access to her machine (i.e. she is local), then just burn the images onto a CD or put them onto a flash drive...

9. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

She's staying overseas so its pretty hard for all these CD send over and pen drive...

10. mrmanishs macrumors newbie

One option is File Apartment: http://www.fileapartment.com.
    - Up to 1 GB
    - Easy to use
    - No software to download or registration required
    - Safe and secure

11. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

send photos

if you have Mobileme you can host a photo gallery and let her upload her photos to mobileme...