Send SMS / text from Mac desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neupane00, Jun 1, 2008.

1. macrumors member

i tried to look around but did find good answer. I want to be able to send sms / text message from my computer.. mac obviously (who uses windows anymore :p) jokes aside.. is there any application that allows me to do that? Years ago i did that with razr using the motorola phoneTools.
    I want to be able to connect iPhone to my computer, and then use some kinda itunes plugin or any other application to sync up my text message and send and receive text messages. any idea guys?

2. macrumors 6502a

There's OS X software which will allow you to send SMS. Here's one, found in 3 seconds of googling: http://www.smsmac.com/en/

As for some sort of sync with iPhone's SMS, I haven't heard of any app that will do that. But, Google is your friend :)

3. macrumors 6502

You can easily send a sms from ichat. In ichat just go to file then 'send sms' can't really help you with the syncing part tho... haven't heard of anything like that..

4. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ichat can send them for free?? or does it use your mobile service?

5. thread starter macrumors member

nah.. this is totally different man. this is without use of a phone. it goes thru internet.. There are 2 different ways to send SMS:
    1) thru paid service (u dont even need mobile phone) - its that kinda service
    2) there is an sms application, when ur phone is connected, it will use YOUR cell phone service as a modem and send thru ur phone plan. this is better cuz usually this kinda application also lets u send and receive sms. and also backs up ur sms messages. --> this is what i am looking for.

i chat will send it. but it will go thru your aim / mac internet message to the cell phone user. i am looking for something that sends thru my mobile cell phone line. that way the receiver gets the message as if it came from my cell phone. not some random number like "345-6564".. btw, any instant messenger is capable of doing this aol . msn, yahoo.. etc

its free.. not thru mobile service. which is good. but the down part is that receiver will get text message like from some random number.. and when they try to send u back, its only good as long as u are logged in the same session of chat..

6. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

except in australia grr

7. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

There's a widget "CallWave" which is a BETA SMS/Text Message on my Dashboard on my Mac Pro & BlackBook. Here's their website: http://www.callwave.com

8. thread starter macrumors member

call wave sends the txt message thru your iphone service? (ur mobile service?)

9. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

No it sends it via the internet. I can send SMS to any cell phone # I choose and it maintains an address book for you as well.

10. macrumors 601

t0mat0

Have a look at the widget list at Apple. Just put in SMS and you'll find something :rolleyes:
    I know there is at least 1 decent one that'll go via your mobile.

11. macrumors P6

DoFoT9

:) know any good australian ones?? :confused: :(

12. macrumors 65816

Didn't address book used to do this via BlueTooth or something?

13. macrumors 6502a

Syphone will sync text messages to your computer, but you can't use it to send them.

I don't know of any programs for Mac that let you send SMS through your phone. I do know of some for Windows that support Windows Mobile smartphones.

14. thread starter macrumors member

haha.. i did, there is nothing. there is tons for other smartphones in windows. i cant believe this.

15. macrumors regular

I use BluePhoneElite 2, don't know how campatible with the iPhone it is though, you can find out here http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/phones/

Dial and receive calls.
    * Use your computer's microphone and speakers like a Bluetooth hands-free device!
    * Phone to computer call-log synchronization
    * Incoming call notification with caller ID and customizable alerts
    * On-screen call controls and duration tracking
    * Search and export call details with notes

Manage text messages.

* Access messages when phone is not connected
    * Message changes synchronize when phone connects
    * Organize messages in local folders
    * Incoming message notification
    * Searchable database supports 100,000+ messages

http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

16. macrumors 68020

Diode

According to that site the iphone blocks the SMS capability over bluetooth.

17. macrumors 6502a

Yeah it does

even the calling doesnt really work properly.

Due to the iPhone's bluetooth stack, you will not be able to send text messages via bluetooth through your mac.

18. macrumors 68000

musio

Hi! First post.

Maybe the new stack in the iphone 2 will allow this? I suspect apple will add more bluetooth features to allow wireless headphones, etc..

19. macrumors newbie

Don't know where you were looking. I found a ton, here is a example of a compiled list of sites that will allow USA Domestic and International Free SMS text messaging. The compiled list link!

Some of them will require that you know of the cell phone carriers name, before being able to send a message.

Hope this helps you.

Kristin,

20. macrumors G3

Kilamite

I use BluePhoneElite as well - brilliant software.

People often wonder how I'm able to reply so quickly.

21. macrumors 68000

musio

but no current software is working with the iphone as of yet :(

22. macrumors newbie

Let's get back to the topic

I know this is an older thread but, like neupane00, I have been hanging out for something like this since I upgraded from my nokia 6230 using Phone Director from macmedia.sk

It is frustrating when people (kristin2323, SFStateStudent, neven) post smart replies without reading the original topic. We do not want to be able to send free sms from ichat or a browser or a seperate app. We want to be able to use our mac as a terminal for our iphone sms - being able to type out an SMS with our keyboard, on our screen and then have the iphone send it.

This is a really key feature for me - I used it the whole time on my Nokia. It seems :apple: have it blocked. :(

Anyone got any clues if there is a way to do it?

23. macrumors newbie

sending text / sms to phones from Mac

i saw the above but have searched ichat adn cant fnd any such ssytem,?

what am i doing wrong maybe someone can explain

I'm trying to find a way to send sms texts for less than the mac sms system suggests i.e. $50 for 50 messages = 10 cents each.

I used to be able to send for free,

callwave used to do it, but no longer it appears? not sure why.

In other countries you can send international texts for free, so theoretically one should be able to via skype, i chat or something.

Anyone out ther have any solutions?

help? :)

24. macrumors newbie

MyMaria

I use TreAson SMS... It's not as good as BluePhoneElite which I use with my Nokias. But it's the only thing that lets me send/receive SMS from my iPhone 3GS with my mac. I wish there'd be more softwares to do just that. I'm not very keen on texting using the iphone.. I just wanna be able to use a "real" keyboard to send SMS. *sigh*

25. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Google Voice lets you send SMS for free from your desktop and you decide whether the response gets sent back to your iphone or email.
    On the iPhone, it's the same and if you do email responses you'll never get charged anything.