Sending a text message with Addressbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Josephkyles, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I have a Motorola Slvr w/iTunes, and it syncs perfectly fine with my iMac, but I can not send text messages through 'Address Book" any help??

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I wasn't aware Address Book had this functionality...?

While I don't think you'll be able to send text messages iMac>Cell (hey, I might be wrong, just never seen the feature), there are a number of free websties dedicated to just this sort of thing (SMS). MSN does it too.

3. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, address book can send SMS messages via your cell phone via a bluetooth connection. But I've never been able to make it work.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Assuming you've paired the phone and clicked the Bluetooth button in AddressBook, it must just be that it doesn't work with some of the phones. It worked with my old Nokia 3650 but not my new Nokia E70. I don't know why.

iDuck - in Address Book, click the Bluetooth button if you've got a BT phone to pair it, then click on someone's phone number - on the tag (i.e., "mobile"), not the actual number. You'll see a few choices, including sending an SMS.

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Oh this is awesome!!

If it works on some and not others could it just a driver issue? Next version of Adresss Book might sort out some mainstream pohnes.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you can send a SMS through iChat.

Set the AIM user ("New Chat with Person...", or a saved buddy) to "+1" plus the phone number. Example: phone number 123-456-7890 would be "+11234567890".

7. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

if someone gets it working, post here, interesting!

wish my samsung phone was supported by OS X

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yeah, worked fine with my Nokia 7650 and 6680s; even though the functionality is pretty well hidden.

9. grum macrumors regular

Working here on a nokia 6630. You can get your phone to dial from the puter as well :p