sending big files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wmmk, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

hi.
    my friend has to send me a few certain huge files. we're talkin' a few gigs here. i have apache running on my mac mini. is there any way in which he can put the file on my server? i can not connect to my own computer by doing the connect to server thing in finder. is there anyway, either with or without the use of my server, that he can send me 3-7 gigs worth of stuff?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

iChat might be easier:

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

how long would like 3-7 gigs take?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Depends on 1) his upload speed and 2) your download speed.

Example: With 2 mbps lines end-to-end, a 6 GB file should take roughly 6 to 7 hours.

5. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

yikes! can he mount my server, then drag the files?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That won't be any faster. It's all about bandwidth.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Use torrents. Seriously. Not gonna speed anything up, but it's useful for transferring files because you can pick up from where you left off, and it doesn't saturate your bandwidth like iChat does if you limit your upload speed.

Given it'll take at least several hours, probably a good idea to make sure you can resume uploads/downloads just in case.

In all honesty, mailing the thing is faster.

Otherwise, it's not Apache you want on YOUR computer. It's either Apache on the other person's computer, or you setting up ftp/ssh/afp/smb on your computer so he can login and then drag/drop the files.

btw apache is a webserver, obviously you wouldnt be able to connect to your computer using AFP if it's not enabled. However, what you can do is go into safari and type in "http://localhost/" and you can see what Apache does..

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

janey, you have NO idea what you've just gotten yourself into.. :)

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

:eek: i know, but i'm in a good, semi-helpful mood today

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL.. I hope you have the next 8 hours free.. :)

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

Haha, well, if I don't, there's always f**kinggoogleit.com...

12. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

well, what i'd be getting would be CS2 off his multi user liscense, but if there's a faster way that's just as legal.....
    BINGO!!! IDEA!!!
    could i download a demo and use his CD liscence code?

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

Why do I get the feeling that your friend's volume license for CS2 isn't legal?
    At any rate, I know the demo can be upgraded to full with a single user license. Dunno about volume license.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That site actually exists (if you replace the ** with uc obviously :D)

You're 12. I doubt your friend is much older. I highly doubt your friend can afford CS2, especially a multi-user license. I bet its illegal.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

Yeah I know it exists, I love that site :) I mention it just as many times as I say RTFM to people :)

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've received a PM from Democrat622 giving me cause to believe that there is a reasonable enough chance that the license mentioned might indeed be a legitimate one.

However, I have no proof that it is, but I'll assume for the moment that Democrat622 will verify its legitimacy.

17. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

This kid is in a family with two macs, and the dad is a graphic designer. The dad is simply guy who does well at work, and encourages his kids to appreciate his work by buying them fun software. All my parents buy me is MS Word. Yawn....:)
    Seriously, I will make sure that all is legit before installing this software.
    I am against piracy. Period.

btw, can indesign be used for webstuff, or only print?

also, to pirate adobe software, i'd need to bypass activation, which is impossible. i am legit, and can prove it (somehow)

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, no its not impossible. Not going to say how I know, but lets just say its possible (and extremely easy)

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

I am not condoning illegal activities, however, it is well known that volume/multi-user licenses for CS2 don't require activation (as it would become a huuuuge pain, obviously).

From http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In general, a corporate license or a site license is valid only for machines under the roof of that company / university or employees employed by / students attending that company / university. They may not be sold or given to any other party that does not fall under that qualification. And even so, the license is purchased on a per-seat basis, so when a firm adds an employee, they have to buy an extra license or 'seat' for their site - at a discount from retail but still in the $100s.

In the case where a software license says "you can install this on two machines, one main machine and a laptop or home machine" the license will also say that both machines have to be owned by the purchaser of the software, and the software cannot be in use on both machines at once.

The Apple Family packs and the Microsoft Student Teacher editions that have 5 and 3 installs respectively, both have similar "under one roof" clauses.

Without commenting on the specific situation (which we do not have the details of) I cannot think of any situation where installing a piece of software with a buddy's serial number - unless an additional license has been purchased - is permitted.

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've spent some more time on Adobe's site, as well as the site the software was purchased, and I see no explanation of how the license could cover multiple users in different homes. I didn't have time earlier to look into it much.

So, while I believe that Democrat622 will look further into the legitimacy of the license, I'm not encouraged.

Hence, a lock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.