Sending email through Hotmail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Macnificant, Nov 18, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2008
    I cant send an email on my iphone through hotmail account. I can receive emails on iphone through hotmail.

Any idea how to fix?
  2. macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2011
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 26, 2008
  4. macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2011
    Hotmail Settings

Hotmail Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - (logon using Secure Password Authentification - SPA, mail server port: 995)

Hotmail Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - (TLS enabled, port 587)

Sometimes e-mail account problems are best solved by deleting the problem account and starting from scratch...
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2007

I'm checking settings for someone and the settings are as above. What is happening is mail is coming in fine, but mails written won't go out and this message comes up. "cannot send mail the username or password for smtp.********* is incorrect.

I do notice that the bullets for the password have 7 for incoming and 6 for incoming....could this be the issue? Thanks
  6. macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2012
    I had the same problem. When I clicked on the settings option I could see my password had been saved. Turns out there is a password for incoming (the first one you see) and one for outgoing. Click on the outgoing server, then click on the primary server, here you can set your outgoing password. (same password as the incoming). All worked well after that.
    Hope this helps someone .
  7. macrumors member

May 31, 2012
    Mine sporadically does the same. Seems like half the time it gives me an error message.