Sending macbook to applecare, do I need to remove my 3rd party ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khurram, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Khurram macrumors 6502

So I have to send in my macbook to get the discolored palmrest replaced...should I put back in the apple ram before I send it or does it matter?
    I have replaced the original ram with 2gigs of 3rd party...does that affect my warranty? Will it be void if they find out? Should I replace the original ram before sending it in or just leave it?
    dont have any technical issues, it's just for the palmrest but i'm still not sure.
    thanks
    khurram

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It's generally accepted that you should install the original apple memory back in because they can simply say it's the rams fault even if it's irrelevant to the problem. I've never had to take an Apple computer in for repair though.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the lady at applecare told me to reinsert original ram when sending it to apple.

4. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

cool, thanks
    i've also heard that they sometimes delete your hd? I really hope they dont do that...any expereince?

5. cloudblood84 macrumors regular

cloudblood84

ive had mine sent in 3 times and never took out third party ram or had my harddrive restored

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the guy said he can't be sure if the hd will be wiped, so just back up to be safe