Sending mail attachments to windows users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kingdom, Mar 8, 2007.

1. kingdom macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently updated from 10.3.9 to 10.4. Since then when using Mail, windows users are complaining that when they receive email from me the files I attach are embedded in the email field and not as attachments. Therefore they cannot download them to their hard drive. I am simply using the attach button in the toolbar and selecting the file.
    If anyone had some tips for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've only had that happen to me a few times and only with image files. What I do in that case is zip the file(s) up. From the Finder right click the file(s) you want and select "Create Archive of ...," then attach the archive.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

In Mail, check Edit -> Attachments -> Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments

4. kingdom thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah as I am a photographer I am always attaching image files.

I have had the windows friendly check on as well. I just doesnt seem to be very windows friendly.

Thanks.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Even embedded, they should be able to right click and save picture as. It's just showing the image, doesn't mean it's not attached to the email.

6. kingdom thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeag thanks I just worked that out by speaking to a windows user.

Would just like it to work as in previous versions where the file shows as an attachment as I know I am going to have call after call from clients asking me how to download them.

thanks.

7. skwij macrumors 6502

Personally, I always send attachments INLINE, rather than "attached". I prefer to receive mail the same way. I've got most of my contacts "trained" the way I like.

I guess I'm one of the few that think that attachments should be banned, especially those multi-layer attachments! AUGH!

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

All nontextual additions to email including inline graphics are attachments. How they are displayed is determined by the recipient's email client.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

very possible, in TB, there will be a area where all the attachments are listed, and user can "save all attachments" altogether. I mailed several *.txt file to a friend. whose mail.app just give a bunch of text in the mail, so I have to compress all files into a dmg and re-send it.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Would you mind explaining this post, please?

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Does this help? I'm taking clevin's post and modifying it. My additions and/or changes are in italics.

very possible, in TB (I assume this means Thunderbird), there will be a area where all the attachments are listed, and user can "save all attachments" together. I mailed several *.txt files to a friend. whose mail.app just presented the attached text files as a bunch of text in the message body, so I have to compress all files into a dmg (disk image) and re-send it.

12. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I have windows user that receives my attachments (pdf), but there is no file extension. He must add it manually.
    For example : I attached "Test.pdf" to an email. He receives email with attachment "Test". He then saves it and guess' that it is a pdf and adds the ".pdf" to the file name. Then everything is OK.
    I have tried sending the attachment using the "Send Windows Friendly" checkbox checked or not. No difference.

Anyone else seeing this? Or heard of this?

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Flynnstone

Yep!. In fact he's lucky it wasn't stripped entirely.

Is he using aol? Msn? Yahoo?

These ISP's can strip or otherwise mess with attachments because they might think you are a spammer. Not your fault.

14. kingdom thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but before I updated to the latest Mail these same recipients were seeing the files as attchments. Now since I have updated to Tiger they6 are just embedded in the email. Not sure why the difference.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

basically, i said "yes, u are right"

16. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

It's his corporate email system.
    I wonder if the server software strips the extension so Outlook (or the like) don't automatically open them. Isn't there some kind of virus in a pdf file. ( Virus for the PC that is ;) )