Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I use Reason/GarageBand/Logic/ to make music, for what it's worth. What is the best way to send my songs to my friend in NY? Compressing them is still to large to send.

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
He wanted me to send them as aif's. I can export in a lot of different file formats, so I guess my question is, what is the best way to compress(?) and send larger files specifically to my friend?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
You can use lossless compression like FLAC if he insists on full quality (though that will only get it down to about half the original size, max); if the issue is that it is too big to send by email you can use a temporary hosting like Rapidshare or Megaupload.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE: Sending Reason Songs to a Friend

RE:
"I use Reason/GarageBand/Logic/ to make music, for what it's worth. What is the best way to send my songs to my friend in NY? Compressing them is still to large to send."

Well, I would think that the _best_ way is to burn a CD and sent it via "real mail".

Are you sending _completed_ songs, or "works-in-progress" for your friend to alter and return?

If you want to send completed songs, why not just convert them to CD-compatible .aif files, burned to CD? They are compatible with everything.

If you are sending works-in-progress, and your friend has Reason/GarageBand/Logic, send the entire project files (may require a data DVD to contain them, depending on their size).

That's the "best" way.
No compression, nothing mucking with your source material.

- John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.