Senile dementia

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sesshi, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

How often would people recommend reinstalling OS X? The last time I reinstalled it on this particular machine was back in October I believe and it's started playing up with the sleep and just general crashiness (it crashes and/or beachballs indefinitely about once every three days, most often in Rosetta apps - it may or may not be a coincidence) again. The application install state has been pretty static since October.

Permissions get repaired before the backups happen, which is every night.

2. i_am_a_cow macrumors regular

It may not necessarily be the whole install that's messed up... what apps are acting up specifically?

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you run a third party disk repair package?

A lot of errors that seem to be random tend to be problems with the volume structure that are sometimes not repaired (or detected) by Mac OS X's Disk Utility.

4. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Nothing in particular. iTunes, Entourage, Word, EyeTV, etc. It tends to happen most in Entourage probably because I use it the most on this machine. Similarly, EyeTV probably second as the other main use for the machine is as a DVR that I can get at quickly when I'm working on my main machines. But it has happened while in other apps.

o_O

Any recommendations?

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Never, unless there's a horrible issue. My Powerbook has been running since 2003, and the Classic has been going since 1992.

I seem to recall you being the person talking about how Windows isn't that bad if you maintain it well, maybe you should extend the same treatment to your Mac. Download Onyx, read the help files and run the maintenance that seems most useful.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've used both Drive Genius and Tech Tool Pro 4 and have been satisfied but I've seen complaints about TTP4 on Intel-based machines. Since you're talking about Rosetta, I'd suggest going with Drive Genius or DiskWarrior.

Of course, check VersionTracker or MacUpdate before buying anything.

7. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

This may be the opportune time for a little rant.

I do try and extend the same treatment to my Macs - but they invariably seem to need far more care to be anywhere near as stable. Unlike someone upgrading with relief from a superannuated and close-to-death PC to a brand new Mac, I run equipment as up to date on the Windows side.

I have had to dig out the OS DVD a few times last and this year to fix boot disc problems for example, perhaps caused by the frequent once a fortnight - once a month (depending on the use of the machine in question) forced shutdowns due to GCODs. I've spent multitudes more time in Disc Utility and Onyx on my Macs than I've spent in diagnostic utilities of any sort for all of my non-server Windows machines in the same period.

My current pre-built gaming PC's have not exhibited a single BSOD since purchase and the sole maintenance performed on them are the Microsoft / Antivirus updates. They get hibernated when not in use for quick wake-up and they're never rebooted unless they need it. The only thing which causes them to crash are games known to be unreliable. My regular PC's are even more reliable bar the Sony, which is perhaps slightly more unreliable than the Macs - probably due to bloatware I haven't bothered to remove / identify.

The Core (2) Duos + Quads / 51xx's - since my entire setup now consists of those CPU's - + Windows seem to be awesome for stability, even when seriously overclocked in the case of one of the Dells.

I wasn't exposed to the Gx's bar a Mini which made me consisder switching again - I started my Mac user period this time around with Intel Macs. The newest MBP (operating without any hardware additions bar a Wireless MM) had a GCOD on the third day after purchase in iPhoto of all things, even before I'd had a chance to install all the apps (but did manage to install all the updates). My first MBP, even sooner. My first Mac Pro, I think it was a week but it could be less. Seriously, I'm more than a little effed off. I don't actually go out to abuse these things - I use them to 'just work'.

I'll have a look at those - thanks. I haven't actually tried the Tech Tool Deluxes that came with the Applecare - perhaps just as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated - no, not those sorts of suggestions but ones pertinent to the original question ;)