Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paxtonandrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I Come From A Land Down Under
Well, I have finally decided to throw my white iPod earphones out, after attempting to get replacements and the warranty rigmarole, and I have decided to look at Sennheiser earphones. The range can be seen here and the ones that I would like to look at are here and here

Have any of you used Sennheiser products before, and if so, what did you think of them, and would you reccommend them to anyone? They seem like a good option as seen here on the best Australian Mac forum

Thanks for your help.

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
I've just bought a pair of MX500's (from the UK Apple Store - although they seem to have disappeared from there now) and they're excellent. They look to be very close to the MX550's in your link - black, and with an in-line volume slider.

I also have two other pairs of Sennheiser headphones, for home use, and they too are great. They certainly represent a very good balance between cost and sound quality, IMHO.

neilrobinson

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2004
Perth, WA, Australia
i have a pair of something - i will have a look - they get abused (like really abused) and they are not bad in sound quality for earbuds.

i can recommend most of their models - use to sell em especially studio models

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
The MX550's are direct replacements for the MX500s I think.

I have the 500s, and they are very good little 'phones, plenty of bass and fairly comfortable, They take a right pounding on a daily basis and havent conplained yet. :D

Any earbud-type speakers with a tuned bass port (Basswind!!!) are going to sound pretty good in the low end, and Sennheisser have a very good record in speaker design.

budaapple

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2004
Ill.
Ipod replacement earbuds

Actually for about the same price the Apple branded cone shaped earbuds are one of the most comfortable I have used and they fit and seal the ear from outside noise very well. Worth a look or better yet a listen.
Cheers!

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
The MX 400's and 500's provide probably the best value in standard earbuds.

You may also want to take a look at some alternatives as well though. The Koss KSC-50, 35, and 75 (the 50 being the easiest to get) are all clip on headphones that are surprisingly comfortable (far better than buds IMHO). I use the KSC-50 (~$20 online), and it is easilly the best portable headphone I've used to date. Strong base, nice detail, as portable as buds, and I can barely feel them on my ears... hard to beat sound/value wise. I know, there's lots of crap from Koss out there, but there are a few exceptions, and this is one of them - even the audiophiles on head-fi.org recommend them.

As far as Sennheiser goes, my taste is in the HD595, not exactly portable. Sounds great from my G5 though ;)

dev*

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004
budaapple said:
Actually for about the same price the Apple branded cone shaped earbuds are one of the most comfortable I have used and they fit and seal the ear from outside noise very well. Worth a look or better yet a listen.
Cheers!

If you look into these (also known as canalphones, also look into options from Sony and Shure), try to get a listen. Comfort and general opinion varies greatly from person to person. They also require extra care, especially if you produce lots of earwax.

If you can't find someone or are particularly worried about sharing ear goobers, you might want to make sure you purchase them from somewhere you can take them back to if you change your mind. :)

That said, as far as bud-like headphones go, canalphones offer the best isolation and bass (assuming you put them on right) you can get.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
The brand's good; they make a lot of good pro-level and consumer level audio gear.

Don't really like canalphones; I really like the PX100s.....

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's and I love them. They were around $100 when I got them. Definitely worth it. I listen to my iPod all the time with these.

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
I own a pair of MX500 and a pair of MX200.
The MX500 is much better than the MX200. A pro is the volume slider in the cord of the MX500.
I'm quite pleased with Sennheiser - for my Powerbook I'm using the Sennheiser HMD-25-1 headset. It's the headset version of the HD-25 headphones, which are definitly a very good choice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.