sense buy macbook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macfriend1, Mar 14, 2007.

1. macfriend1 macrumors regular

hello everyone.

I'm a student. Unfortunately, like everybody else, I have not that much money left. For my studies I'll need a macbook in summer 07.
    The leopard is coming in April.

does it make sense to buy a macbook now? Better wait till april and then buy a book with the new software and maybe better hardware for the same money?!
    The problem is, I could buy a macbook right now. muchmuch cheaper than normal price. it would only contain the old tigersystem, which is not that good. but I heard that the upgrade won't cost a lot.

Actually, I have no idea what to do. I'm not an expert and I haven't used mac a long time before.
    thanks for your help

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Tiger is awesome. How is it no to good?

It does make sense to buy a Macbook now if you need it. It does not make sense if you need it right before or after April.

3. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

true.
    but I wanna have e.g this iSight thing in my book. there were rumours that new macbookversion won't contain a webcam.
    tiger is awesome. but isn't it better to buy a book with a new system?

4. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Here is what I recommend: buy a refurbished MacBook and use it until Penryn. Sell the MacBook you got and buy a Penryn MacBook.

5. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

penryn MacBook?

6. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

A processor chip from Intel scheduled to be released late 2007 (after the 2nd Generation Intel Core 2 Duo).

7. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

ok. thanks. back to the question.
    does it make sense?

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Wait 'til Summer refresh - Leopard Santa Rosa iLife '07

No point in buying the 2006 model when the 2007 Leopard iLife '07 Santa Rosa model with way superior IG graphics is right around the corner - esp cause you don't need it til summer.

9. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Are you going to be using your Mac for anything important. If not, at least wait for Santa Rosa platform and Leopard.

10. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to use my Mac for the normal things.. although I might do a little bit of video editing (finalcut express, I guess) santa rosa platform may 9th.

11. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Those are normal everyday tasks, so I suggest you wait.

12. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

Will there even be a new MacBooks with the Tiger-release? Last Upgrade was in November06, if I remember right.

13. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

A possible MacBook update might be at WWDC(June 11-15).

14. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

So better wait for this possilbe update and then get a book with the new system... hmmm

15. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Yes and you will save more money that way (If you bought a MacBook right now you would have to pay $129 for Leopard).

16. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be on later. Thanks everyone for the help so far! I'll catch on later.

17. phidauex macrumors member

Buy what you need, when you need it.

With macs you get stuck with two choices:

A. You buy a bleeding edge product, and live with all the problems of a first revision.
    B. You buy an established product, and live with the reality that it will be replaced with a 'newer' product very soon.

Pick your poison. Just buy what you need, when you need it. Wait as long as possible, but DON'T sacrifice your school work in order to wait for 'the latest and greatest'. Computers are there to be tools, not status symbols, so buy it when you need it.

Refurbished C2D Macbooks are a good deal right now, since there is still a ways to go before a major update, and the 129$ for Leopard isn't going to be a big hit (I'm happy to have my mac for three extra months in exchange for having to buy Leopard, since in that time, I'll get more than 129$ worth of use out of it).

Hope this helps. You can drive yourself insane wondering about "What's next", but the point of a computer is to be a useful tool, and Penryn/santa rosa whatever isn't going to change the fundamental usability as a tool. Its nice to get the most for your money, but having your computing needs met is the most important thing.

peace,
    sam

18. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Either way, you'll still have a great machine that will serve you well.:)

19. BoA* macrumors member

BoA*

Why would you want a Rev. A product and have to deal with all kinds of bugs? :confused:

It is best to buy now and then when you are done with Uni or getting in to heavier levels of Design, or Film/music get a MBP. Or you could buy later. Your choice :p.

20. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

I told the OP to get a Penryn MacBook which would be Rev. B.

21. ProtestedHero macrumors newbie

That's where I'm stuck also. I'm planning on buying a MB soon, but I don't know if I should just wait for Leopard, or get Tiger. My main concern is within the OS upgrade. When I upgrade from Tiger to Leopard, will I lose all of my files? (do I have to back them up to an external drive) Or does the OS just upgrade with the files still intact on the HD.

22. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you guys have to keep in mind that this is a student; he won't have to pay $129 for leopard. the education price for mac os x is $69, and i know a few schools that offer it for even cheaper than that. if you can get a great deal on a macbook now, go for it.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Honestly, how do you go about giving advice? I know it's your opinion, but since he's essentially doing normal, everyday tasks, and "maybe" some video editing, he should wait? :confused:

So instead of saving money by buying a MacBook now, you're advising him to buy a Penryn MacBook?

I think you should wait until WWDC, but not for longer than that. I recommend this because you CAN wait, since you don't need your new computer yet. If you can get a current MacBook for a huge discount, then get it now!! New technology comes out all the time, and if you're going to follow Intel's roadmap, then you're never going to buy a laptop, and you'll always be waiting for the next processor, as new processors seem to be coming out relatively frequently (compared to before when we still used PPC cpus).

With a new line of processors comes new heat problems. It's not really what I'd call "rev B." If the processors are different enough, and the LCD is different (or even LED), it may as well be treated like a Rev A product. I don't even consider the product that's out right now "Rev A", so we're at least at Rev B right now, likely Rev C, in my books.

24. mackinoe macrumors newbie

I'm in exactly the same situation where i'm a student and i'm deciding whether to wait or not. Some people dont seem to have a clue about students though. Students dont really have the money to update your laptop every time new technology comes out! Inless you have rich parents that buy you everything. I've decided to wait a bit and maybe get a refurb macbook in a few months time to save me money if it doesnt look like leopard will be released any time soon.

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'm a student, if that matters. That's why I recommend he buys the heavily discounted MacBook if he wants it now, or wait until WWDC in June if he wants Leopard for free, as he has time to wait until June.

I guess the only other piece of advice I can offer is this:

- If you want to run an external monitor, wait until June, since the new integrated graphics processor is hopefully well improved, although its ability to run an external screen AND your laptop screen will depend on whether Apple raises the vRAM beyond 64 MB.

I know many people already run an external LCD. You can do so up until 1920 x 1200 resolution (or thereabouts), but you'd need to do this in clamshell mode (ie: with the laptop lid closed). Running 2 monitors with only 64 MB of VRAM is crap, and actually, running an higher resolution external LCD with the MacBook does produce choppier results than what you get when using the plain old MacBook's screen.