sent mail messages gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Oct 17, 2004.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

It seems that mail got rid of a majority of my sent box within the past couple days. How I have my mail program set up is that I have a hotmail account that it just takes off the server and then i have my merrimack account. My merrimack account is an exchange server so to get the messages i use the pop address (so that i can get mail with this program even when i'm not on campus) and then i send mail using the exchange server while i'm on campus. The exchange server account that i just use for sending messages is traditionally offline but a few days ago i had it go online just to see if i could get it to download all the messages. It didn't but shortly after is when i noticed the weird thing going on with my sent box. It appears that a bunch of messages, especially ones i sent within the past couple days are gone. Does anyone have any ideas about trying to get these back so I have an accurate history of the mail that I've sent?
    Thanks,
    Stephen

2. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Probably a dumb question, but did you have a look at the preferences (special mailboxes tab) for all your accounts?

4. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Getting back mail that is gone from your sent mailbox? Highly unlikely.

It'd be helpful if you told us which version of OS X you're running, and which version of Mail.app.

6. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Well just for the heck of it i'm running mail 1.3.9 and i'm running 10.3.5.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts tab -> Special Mailboxes tab -> Change Sent to whatever you want, to prevent this from happening in the future.

Alternately, you can look for your sent mail in your Mail.app Trash, but I doubt it's there. If it was deleted, you will have to get it back from your backup. Most mail servers don't save outgoing mail sent through them. You'll have to contact your administrator to find out if they did.