Sent my MBP for repair and it came back... worse

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sjshaw, Jun 5, 2006.

1. sjshaw macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2004
    What a nightmare. I have a week 14 MBP that has the processor whine manifesting through and/or above the left speaker along with the excessive heat. I called Apple during the "everybody with MBP issues call" day and initiated a return. I mailed it out on 5-31 and got it back today. It appears that they replaced the logic board and the heat pipe.

Unfortunately, Apple didn't fix it: they made it worse.

It still has the processor whine, but the heat is even more intense. In addition, now the left speaker crackles at medium-high to high volume, making audio unlistenable.

Anybody have the "special" e-mail address at Apple that seems to get a good response?
  2. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2004
    Writing now. We'll see what happens.

It turns out my keyboard is less receptive now as well. The "o" key skips half the time.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Document, Document Document.

Send a written report back to Applecare.

If they screw up enough times, you'll be glad you have this in writing.
  4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

Oct 5, 2004
    Right from apples website,

"Cooler design
    In the world of notebooks, there’s an eternal struggle between the forces of design and the forces of thermodynamic reality. Many notebooks simply raise the flag of surrender, opting for clunkier, weightier designs to deal with internal heat. MacBook Pro innovates its way to a better place. Not only are its parts engineered to squeeze out every last joule of performance, they’re meticulously placed to minimize size. The result? Ultra performance in a thin, light package."

Well, they got a couple of those right. :rolleyes:
  5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2006
    sjshaw and others who have experience with sending in MBP's for repair, please sign this macrumors poll:

and if you have the time also write down the reason for sending it in. Once there's satisfying statistic, I will send the poll to apple and ask macrumors to post it on the title page. Currently it looks like only 20% of people ever get their MBP's fixed.
  6. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    Tell me you aren't seriously writing directly to Steve Jobs? Heh, what a laugh ;)
  7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Nothing funny about it. Sure, he wont read it, but if Apple operates like many other companies it'll get directed to an executive office or assistant.
  8. doctor pangloss macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2004
    I had a similar fiasco with the first 12"PB they sent me.
    see this thread

Keep in mind two words that get apple service peoples attention. "Attorney General".
    You paid for a new computer so that's what you should get.
    Not some half-a$$ed repaired POS!
    Kick some butts!
  9. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2004
    Several people have gotten satisfaction after writing him. I'll post what happens.
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    tell that to igary. :D
  11. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    With all due respect, iGary's tale of woe with Applecare was just a little more drawn out and ridiculous.

I'm not defending Apple for not getting it right first time (when you bought) or second (when they repaired) but I think I'd have gone through normal channels once more before trying to leap to the top. I know in our company, Chairman's complaints get dealt with but those who have struggled most and exhausted the 'regular' channel generally get dealt the better hand.
  12. sjshaw thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 18, 2004
    Got a phone call today from Apple Customer Relations. I'm taking it in to an Apple Store tonight.