separate laptop bag necessary for ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by seebol, Jul 22, 2004.

1. seebol macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2004
    So I just ordered a 12" ibook, and I'm trying to find a laptop bag for it...preferably under $50 hehe. Should I get

1) a bag specifically for the ibook and cables for it
    2) a backpack that has a separate laptop compartment
    3) a sleeve and use a regular backpack?

I think I would prefer options 2 or 3, because as a college student, I have to carry books around, and I don't really want to carry two bags. However, a friend has raised concerns about books crushing my ibook. Is this possible? It has a polycarbonate shell compared to the flexible....polyethylyne(?) shell of most other laptops.

Would others with experience carrying around an ibook give me their experience? Oh, and also, any recommendations for a cheap backpack with paded laptop compartment or a padded laptop sleeve? I've looked around this forum, and most of the linked cases and sleeves are EXPENSIVE.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Mar 11, 2004
    Look in here for a bunch of links to bag makers:

I am also a college student, but I have a 12'' Powerbook instead of an iBook. I have a Booq Powersleeve12 that I put in my backpack and carry around with books and such. I don't think you have to worry about books crushing your laptop so long as you pay attention to what you are doing. I always make sure I stand my bag up on end instead of laying it flat. This keeps the books off the laptop.

I definately recommend a sleeve so you don't advertise you are carrying around an expensive piece of equipment. Most sleeves fit nicely into a backpack which makes carrying books / notebooks a lot easier. Check out Booq's offerings, they are fantastic.
  3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    I use just a regular backpack, not even a sleeve, for my 12" pb. I have a sleeve, but its easier just to pull the pb out of the bag.
    So from your options, I would suggest sleeve+backpack.