Separate Screensavers with Dual Monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jazzman45, Jan 4, 2004.

1. jazzman45 macrumors member

I did some looking for it, but couldn't find a thing.

I'm wondering if there is any way that two screensavers can run independently on two monitors. So, if there is, drop me a line and i'll greatly appreciate it.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't hold out much hope on this. I'd love it for my dualies, but I have never seen anything that could do it.

3. absurdio macrumors 6502

nearly five years later... is this doable yet?

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a

5. absurdio macrumors 6502

Hot damn! Thanks!
    Seems like this isn't exactly the use the programmers intended, but this works fine for me (for now)

Basically, I thought it would look nice to have Polar Clock as the screen saver on one screen and FLIQLO as the screen saver on the other. So far, using RandomExtra, I can do that... The only thing I can't do (or haven't been able to yet) is figure out how to assign one screen saver to one monitor and the other to the other (that is: it's always random which screen will have fliqlo and which will have polar clock).

Thanks much!

6. shake10861 macrumors newbie

10.5.6 OSX Works

This problem is a quick click in 10.5.6, just go to System Preferences>Desktop &Screensaver>click screen saver at the top. Choose your screensaver, and then uncheck the "Main Screen Only" option. Also, if you'd like a different screensaver on each, use this program....

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8788

7. absurdio macrumors 6502

I'd more or less stopped using RandomExtra.

I'd been using it because I wanted Fliqlo and Polar Clock (classics, right?) to work in tandem, one on the external monitor and one on the MBP.

Somewhere in there - in Fliqlo, Polar Clock, or RandomExtra - there was a bug that prevented a screensaver process from quitting, which, in turn, prevented the Expose/Spaces shortcuts from working.

I've set this all up again, the way I had once before (only with the most recent versions of Polar Clock and RandomExtra) in the hopes that the issue has since disappeared.

It's surprising that in all of it's options, RandomExtra doesn't seem to have an option for specifically setting a particular screen saver to each monitor. I think the closest you can come is to activate the two screen savers you want, and set the "Pick Mode" under "Extra" to "One By One." This works fine for my purposes, though it feels a bit like a bootleg workaround.

Anyway, here's hoping for the best this time.

8. Focal1 macrumors newbie

So I just found this thread while seeing about applying a screen saver as my desktop background, and the question came up, is it possible to have no screen saver on the main monitor, and run the screen saver on the secondary monitor? Any help would be appreciated

9. BobZune macrumors 6502a

10. huski macrumors newbie

huski

Speaking of digging up old threads.... What I'm looking for is a screensaver that would make simultaneous use of both screens, i.e. that one part of screensaver displays in the first screen and then goes into the second screen. Think that would look really nice :D

11. Signal64 macrumors newbie

Actually looking for the same thing. Using the real estate of both monitors for one screen saver instead the screen saver treating the two displays independently. That possible?

12. huski macrumors newbie

huski

13. paulc325 macrumors newbie

Months later...

Is there anyway to do it with Snow leopard?
    Dual monitors; with different screensaver on each monitor?