Seperate hardrive for windows/ linux?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Emrtr4, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Hi, I am not sure if this has been asked before and I am sorry if it has.
    I am not new to mac, but I will be purchasing my first Intel mac later this year (I plan on getting a macpro after macworld in the late spring).

My question is this, can I run bootcamp on seperate hardrives (or parallels).
    For instance,

if I purchased a macpro with the standard 250 gig hardrive and then a seperate 750 gig hardrive for the second slot can I run windows on on the first hardrive so that I dont have to partitition my hardrive (i hear it can cut down on performance.) Also I may consider paritioning the 250 gig hardrive for linux and windows (vista).

My possible configuration if I bought it today (but will wait for the updates that will happen this year).

Display- 2x 21 inch Gateway (1650x1080)
    Two 2.66Ghz Duel-Core Intel Xeon
    1 gig (2x512mb) (I will purchase more later from a seperate retailer)
    HardDrive Bay 1- 250 gig 7200 rpm hardrive
    Harddrive Bay 2-750gig 7200 rpm hardrive
    Ati Radeon X1900XTX 512 mb (2x duel link DVI)
    Two 16X superdrives
    Both Bluetooth 2.0 and Airport extreme (hopefully will be 802.11n by the time I buy)
    Final Cut Expres HD preinstalled
    (buy aperture seperatly)

Thanks for any help you can offer

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Supposidly you could use a system drive wether using Boot Camp or parallels. I found that when using boot camp the Windows installer does not like the partition on the system drive, could just be mine. For convenece sake I have a dedicated HD from my other OS's through Parallels I am running Kubutbu, Win 2k, Vista, and FreeBSD. It seems to work rather well.

Boot camp lets you burn an Apple drivers CD to install after you install windows, similar, parallels has an "Install Parallels Tools" opion, These will let stuff like you apple mouse, bluetooth and the like work, The internet connection is bridged, I use my airport, but windows sees it as ent0 (ethernet)

Everything works rather well. With the second 750gb drive you should be all set.

btw. If you get you RAM from a third party ask questions, From what I hear not all come with the heat sinks....