Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratteler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
Is there a way to set up Mavericks specifically, but all OS X installs in general, so that NO data is written to the startup drive except what is absolutely necessary to start the system and keep it updated?

Ideally I would like to have separate partitions for System, Users, Applications, and Fonts.
Possibly Extra, Library and all the other hidden folders usually associated with the Boot drive as well.

Essentially making a ROM out of the boot partition.

I'm having to do an OS X reinstall AGAIN because my system drive was somehow corrupted.
I've had to deal with on REAL Mac's as well as Hackintoshes with OS versions from 10.6 to 10.9.
I know it's not a drive failure because I'm still using some of the same drives this has happened on, in other machines, and they have been reliable.

I'm tired of having to reinstall EVERYTHING because OS X developed a problem Disk Utility tells me it can't recover from.
Luckily most of my work is on a separate partition that was unaffected, and I know OS X has some nice back up tools that MAY help... For the first time I'm actually running a Time Capsule on my main system.

But why recover all that data, when the problem is one little corruption?

Any one got an idea if/how to get this done.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would advise you NOT to do this.

Particularly with updates, you may find that if you move apps away from the same partition that the OS is on, that updater utilities won't go as expected. And there are some apps that seem determined to keep some things within the home folder, as well.

What you could consider doing is what I do myself. That is, I keep all my -DATA- "isolated" from the boot partition, on separate "data partitions".

This way, I can keep most of my data segregated and arranged as I like, without putting it into the folders in my "home" folder.

(Of course, I still -have- a "home folder" on my boot volume, there's just relatively little inside it.)

I maintain an individual partition for music, and another for "media" (such as photos and book files).

So I always have at least SEVEN volume icons to choose from in the upper-right-hand corner of my desktop. Aside: some folks get confused with two!

I create all my backups with CarbonCopyCloner, don't use Time Machine ever.

Because the "non-OS" data volumes don't change very much, the backups go very fast, often completed within less than a minute.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Is there a way to set up Mavericks specifically, but all OS X installs in general, so that NO data is written to the startup drive except what is absolutely necessary to start the system and keep it updated?

Ideally I would like to have separate partitions for System, Users, Applications, and Fonts.
Possibly Extra, Library and all the other hidden folders usually associated with the Boot drive as well.

Essentially making a ROM out of the boot partition.

I'm having to do an OS X reinstall AGAIN because my system drive was somehow corrupted.
OS X isn't designed to have all of its directories as separate partitions, and it will cause you to have far more issues than whatever it is that's causing "corruption."
Corruption of OS X is extremely rare. I suggest that your time is better spent trying to learn why it's happening to your computer, and resolving that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.