Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Doesn't mean a bad implementation or a bug in some feature can't do bad things to the battery life. I'm starting to notice that WiFi + MobileMe syncing = dead battery, even if I turn off push. Yet if I leave WiFi off, the battery will last literally double to quadruple the time.

An OS can be very battery efficient, but if an app or some other daemon sits there and grinds through the CPU, the battery will be drained pretty fast. Can't get around that other than fix the bad app/daemon.

Yeah I suppose you're right. After all, Scott talked about how apps shoudln't have to run in the background because they take up processor cycles and thus battery life and performance. I haven't noticed what you said about MobileMe, but you could be right. It's weird how it still happens even when turning off push...hrmmm...

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I know it has nothing to do with the thread but since a lot of you are complaining about it here it is :
The solution for back ups time problems has been posted here :
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1598363&tstart=0

By a guy named " geauxracerx ".

Before doing this I had back-ups as long as 2 hours, now they hardly last longer than a minute !
Please note though, that you will loose all your applications data, but it's really worth the doing, believe me.. You do it once and for all.
EDIT :Also, the first back-up you'll do after that will be long, mine was 45 minutes with a lot of apps, but it's normal since this one is the actual full back up of the device. After that they're really quick, even after adding some applications data. I've done this a week ago and my back ups times are still under a minute.

Here is the actual post if you don't want to read the whole thread :

Honestly people here is the solution! I promise it works!

snip

I can also confirm this method works. Since doing it I have also experienced a lot more stability. The only consistent app crash I've had is Safari and everyone knows how crashy Safari currently is. Although, Dizzy Bee froze once and made me have to do a restart but it hasn't happened again and I didn't lose any data.

*I know I've said this before in other threads but since nobody seems to be reading the workaround I feel I'll keep saying something until it's either fixed by Apple or the thread I made about it gets made a sticky.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
I just hope they fix the g-d iPhone software ASAP. It's driving me nutz. Apps crashing all the time, and now I'm stuck in the airport hoping the phone completes its forever "backup" so I can sync before my next flight is called! It takes forever and is ridiculous compared to how well and quickly the version 1.x software worked!!! :mad:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I just hope they fix the g-d iPhone software ASAP. It's driving me nutz. Apps crashing all the time, and now I'm stuck in the airport hoping the phone completes its forever "backup" so I can sync before my next flight is called! It takes forever and is ridiculous compared to how well and quickly the version 1.x software worked!!! :mad:

You do know that you can just click the little "x" next to the progress bar to skip the backup?

Remster

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
It's weird, but there are actually quite a few buying classics out there. Where I work, I'd say there are more people with iPod classics (purchased from Sep 07 onwards) than iPod nanos (3G). I like the idea of a Hard Drive touch - but that would probably make it thicker and a little slower. Anyway, I'm happy with my iPhone 3G (16GB is enough storage for me), so I'm hoping Steve will release 2.1 today. It would be brilliant to have the volume controls on the side be configured for previous song/next song (instead of up/down).

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
You do know that you can just click the little "x" next to the progress bar to skip the backup?

Then whats the point of 'Backup'

Better still in this regard would be to disable the feature (feature indeed as of now[sarcasm]) in iTunes!

No... its a flaw that Apple needs to fix.... and quickly!

JasonDawg18

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2005
I have an unlocked iphone, running with TMobile. If Apple does release the updates for the iPhone today, can I update it? Will it relock my phone? I don't care about the jailbreaking, just the unlocking...

Thanks!

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I have an unlocked iphone, running with TMobile. If Apple does release the updates for the iPhone today, can I update it? Will it relock my phone? I don't care about the jailbreaking, just the unlocking...

Thanks!

Yes... there's a 99% chance it will and a great probability that it might nuke your iPhone as well! Till date there's only been 1 iPhone update that hasnt done a great deal to unlocks! Wait for a few weeks and the dev team is bound to come out with a new unlock for the 2.1 firmware!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Why on earth do people still harp on about MMS? Soon, most people will email on phones - sharing much nicer pictures I bet. MMS is capped by small pictures and basically look awful. I haven't MMSd for years.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Why on earth do people still harp on about MMS? Soon, most people will email on phones - sharing much nicer pictures I bet. MMS is capped by small pictures and basically look awful. I haven't MMSd for years.

MMS pictures aren't always bad quality - depends on the device. Some can be quite good quality (obviously not as good as taking the picture and emailing it, since it is resized) but good enough.

And because MMS is a huge thing to leave out - fair enough maybe you won't use it, but aside from a few of my friends who have iPhones, none have smart phones with email. Pretty annoying for them to send me a message saying "hey, here's a picture of my new car, want to go for a ride?" and not be able to receive the picture.

If everybody used email on phones, then SMS texting would be obsolete too, so Apple might as well take that out.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005

MMS messaging lets you send and receive contacts. Something I sorely miss with the iPhone

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
I'll hold my applause for something that is revolutionary.

I concur, lately Apple has not been showing any impressive hardware updates, especially regarding video cards for the MP, and updates for the Mini. However, I highly doubt that we'll see those today, probably just some new colors for the nano.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008

I'm in agreement! I havent MMSd in ages (even before iPhone!) And as far as contacts are concerned.... I prefer to ask the person directly!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
If everybody used email on phones, then SMS texting would be obsolete too, so Apple might as well take that out.

True in the most part, but people SMS so much more than MMS and cost is a factor. 35p for an MMS? I hardly ever sent one.

Free email (inclusive) to any address, mobile or computer. All over the world. I email my friends in Japan with photos and it's great. Couldn't do that before.

SMS is quite important, at least for now. MMS really didn't catch on in the UK to my knowledge - mostly because of the prices. Sure, people send the odd dirty photo, the odd one of a car or baby - but usually just text or take a photo and email it to a computer. Obviously this is all in my experience, but I asked friends and no-one MMSs.

iphonesarecool

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
England, UK
Apple

Let's Rock

Attachments

• Let's rock.jpg
    Let's rock.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Apple 6.jpg
    Apple 6.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Apple Logo Rainbow.jpg
    Apple Logo Rainbow.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.