September 6, 1984: Mac 512 Introduced

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 7, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think they called this the "fat mac" - because of its 512 Kilobytes (!) of memory, up from 128k in the previous one.

My roommate at the time worked at Apple, and I was able to buy one of these one behalf of a friend at his employee discount. I think it was still something like $2500 -- equivalent to maybe $5k today. It played LodeRunner really well, and had a rudimentary word processor, but I don't remember being able to do much else with it.
  3. macrumors 68020

May 7, 2003
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Yeah, my folks got one of these. I was headlong into the Apple IIgs those days, and quite clearly "anti-mac".

Though, the Apple // series played lode runner really well as well. I 'd love to play that one again. Played it for hours. Maybe months.
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    My screen name comes from the 512ke I own. It came out right after the 512ke with a bit of extra memory. You can't hook up a hard drive. I have the external floppy... 400K. The whole thing still works. The star programs on the floppies? Microsoft Word and MacPaint. Oh, and Prince of Persia.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jan 7, 2004
    Purcellville, VA
    IIRC, a hard drive was available. It should be capable of connecting to a Drive-port based hard drive - a ProFile or an Apple HD20 (but not the HD20 SC - that was SCSI based.)

Also, if you have a 512ke (and not the original 512k), then you have support for 800K floppy drives in addition to the older 400K drives.