Sequester Starting in three weeks :(.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ariii, Feb 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Ariii

2. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

So am I. Not because the U.S. economy can't withstand this self-inflicted wound. It can, though not without more, unnecessary, individual casualties. But because of the coalition in Congress who basically have veto power, and, are still determined to try to make the Obama presidency a "failure".

3. macrumors 603

Let it happen.

Any cuts to the government budget is a good thing at this point.

4. macrumors demi-god

I'd imagine that there are about 750,000-1,000,000 people that might disagree.

5. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

And if that isn't the perfect example of why so many of us want a smaller government I don't know what is. The feds are so ingrained in our day to day lives and we are so reliant on it that the threat of lost jobs is on such a large scale that we're almost at the point of being forced to swallow one poison pill after another just to keep things chugging along all the while leveraging our future and continuing the trend of record deficits and exploding debt in order to make it happen.

6. Guest

Sky Blue

7. Guest

eric/

Well that's already happening with ending Iraq and Afghanistan

8. macrumors 603

Quite ironic isn't it that the party that has been moaning for budget cuts non-stop since Obama was elected is the same party that has been moaning non-stop about each and every job loss, isn't it? You can't have it both ways.

That said, we can't run our country of 310+ million people in to the ground financially because around a quarter of one percent of the people will lose their jobs.

Collateral damage, yes, but in the long run what's the better scenario for the country:

1) Cancel the cuts, spend more money we don't have, the deficit continues to rise, economic recovery stalls, even more people lose jobs, and we get farther from where we want to be.

or

2) Let the cuts go through, spending therefore goes down, which helps to reduce the deficit and turn the economy around. The people lose these jobs but the economy picks up, new jobs are created, and they are in new jobs within a year or two.

The long run impact of these cuts will help the economy and help these people find new jobs. You can't keep antiquated or unnecessary jobs going just so the people don't lose their jobs, that's a recipe for financial disaster.

9. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Agree on all counts there. The so called fiscal conservatives in the Republican Party have been just as bad on this as the Democrats and it all stems from the fact that the collective we are all hypocritical when it comes to federal spending. We all like to rag on pork projects and talk about how wasteful most of them are....unless some of that money is being funneled into our district.

At the end of the day most of the defense spending we have ends up being jobs bills and just about everyone in Congress, regardless of party, are against cuts to them because they have to answer for it back home.

It's an endless cycle.

10. macrumors demi-god

Personally, I don't disagree with you. However, I'd guess that a good many of the collaterally damaged folks might feel differently.

11. Guest

eric/

Help them find jobs and ease the transition process. No different than firing or laying off workers from private industries. Just because you work for the government doesn't mean you're entitled to a job.

12. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Do you really think it's been a success?

13. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Just Google "What did President Obama accomplish his first four years". There are quite a few websites that will remind you. Here is one of many such websites that I picked (almost) at random:

http://www.barackobama.com/news/entry/what-obamas-accomplished/

14. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

LMAO. C'mon....barackobama.com?

15. macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Lol ya, Im sure Kim Jong Il has a glowing website too about himself as well.

No I am not equating Obama to Kim Jong Il,so simmer down, but of course his website is going to have glowing deed he has ever done.

16. macrumors 603

Yes. Best President in my lifetime. (I was born when Reagan was in office)

http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/

I would expect that they do, but frankly, I don't give a damn. They continue to vote for these morons who can't run a government, what do they expect?

I haven't been able to find a full-time job since last summer, so I guess they can just join the club. I shouldn't have to continue to deal with a **** economy where I can't find a job just so we can keep these people employed. Fix the problem (which will result in them losing their jobs short term) and then we can ALL get new jobs in the long term.

17. macrumors G4

skunk

Besides which, as a percentage of the working population, a million is quite a significant number.

18. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Yeah but an intelligent person can look at both, do a little googling and see which one is full of lies.

19. Guest

Sky Blue

you funny

20. macrumors 68020

John Boehner brought this upon himself when he did say "I got 98% of what I wanted" two years ago.

21. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

A few weeks until I get to work for free YAY..

It's time for a budget boys and girls

22. macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Don't hold your breath.

23. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

It's been a couple years but hopefully they can actually find their A$$ with both of their hands

24. Guest

eric/

25. macrumors 68020

P-Worm