Serbian elections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Yesterday Serbia held elections and the vote was not encouraging. The vote for ultra nationalists is a red flag that should alarm all people watching the developments in the Balkans.

BBC

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it's fascinating that committing war crimes doesn't make someone unelectable

3. JackStorm macrumors newbie

Yeah, not very good news. Things haven't been going very well since Prime Minister Djindjic died. Not that they were all that good before he died. Seems anti-U.S sentiment are so high around the world that things are actuly working in favor of extremists and fanatics. Kinda sad really.

4. Sayhey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In this case it is not only anti-US sentiments but also anti-EU, specifically anger towards the perceived anti-Serbian tilt at the war crimes tribunal. If the democratic forces in Serbia cannot put their differences aside and move their country towards the democratic standards of much of the rest of Europe, then the entire Balkans is in danger of renewed ethnic hatreds. I'm particular alarmed by Kostunica's idea of a minority government. Seems like settling old scores within the broader democratic movement might be his priority.

zim, I'm also surprised how war criminals have been able turn their trials into a nationalistic propaganda victory. I would read it as a broader inability of many Serbians to take responsibility for the ethnic cleansing done in their name. Are their no Serbian politicians who stand up and denounce these crimes?

5. wwworry macrumors regular

Serbian nationalism has a very long and robust history. I read a biography of Tito that went into some depth about Balkan history. It's quite complicated actually. Look up the history of the Bogomils, the Ottoman invasions, or how the Orthodox and the Catholic church interacted with the power struggles during WWII to see how complicated it can get. In fact look up the USTASHE - Croatian WWII fascists.

The origins of Bosnian muslims come from Bogomil persecution and the protection offered by the Ottomans. This is just the smallest drop of information.

For instance Serbian/Orthodox ethnic cleansing is justified by Croation/Catholic ethnic cleansing during WWII. It just keeps going back and back, a real mind bend.

I feel like we are like little babies in terms of understanding this sort of history. Anyway, I am not saying Serbian nationalism is good or anything. Just a few subjects to read up on.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nationalism is on the rise around the world and I think it can be directly traced to the acceleration of globalization. There is so little that many countries or peoples can do in the face of the onslaught of the IMF, WTO or the USA, but what they can do is elect officials who are deemed to be on their side.

Serbia is an extreme example but one doesn't need to look far to see others. Europe, the US, Australia, Zimbabwe, Indonesia amongst others are littered with parties touting the return to pre-globalization ideals. It's very sad to see so many people support xenophobes, that is not the answer.