Serial Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 0x0BADF00D, Feb 27, 2007.

1. 0x0BADF00D macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hi folks,

I have a G4 Mac Mini and an Alps Glidepoint touchpad which has a serial interface. I also got an Aten RS232-USB adapter. The adapter has drivers for OS X, WinXP and installs fine. On WinXP, the touchpad shows up as a serial mouse, which is fine by me. You only get the basic functionality - move mouse pointer, tap-to-click, double-tap to double-click. So no special stuff like scroll zones, right-click zones, all that.

However, whilst the Aten adapter is detected fine on OS X, it does not auto-detect the touchpad. The adapter comes up as /dev/tty.usbserial0. If I open the file manually, and try to read it, I can see characters being generated when I try to use the touchpad. Also the LED on the adapter blinks (otherwise it's completely off, meaning that the OS doesn't open the file automatically).

So how can I make the OS use the tty as a pointing device? Is there such a thing as xorg.conf for the UI? If it's not possible with Aqua, could it be possible with X11? (Although I have not been able to find Apple X11's "xorg.conf"-like file.)

Any suggestions much appreciated.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    I don't know if USBOverdrive will address the problem but it;s a place to start.
  3. 0x0BADF00D thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2007
    Thanks for the tip. Alas, it didn't work.
  4. 0x0BADF00D thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2007