Serial port keyboard configurable to USB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 8thMan, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

I've been bitten by the Frankenmac bug and plan to install a Mac Mini in an SE/30 case, along with a new internal SVGA monitor. Is it possible to wire the original serial port keyboard to USB? I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible.

I know this is a ridiculous project but don't try to reason with me. :rolleyes:

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Yes, mount a Griffin iMate internally.

3. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

WOW! That's just what I was looking for. Thanks!

4. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Unfortunately the Griffin iMate is not supported in 10.4. :mad:

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Aw, maaaan!

I've got an old B&W G3 that is as upgraded as it can get as my main desktop, using a positively ancient ADB Apple Extended Keyboard. (The best Apple keyboard ever made, IMHO; and easily an equal to the IBM Model M keyboard.) The B&W has a native ADB port that works just fine in 10.4, but when it comes time to replace it, I was hoping to get an iMate and keep the keyboard!

6. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Well, I found another ADB-USB adapter but I'm not sure if it is compatible:

http://www.42u.com/nti-usb-to-adb-adapter.htm

And I agree -- those old ADB keyboards were a real quality item and great to type on -- not like the cheap acrylic crumb-catchers that come with modern Apple products.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What monitor are you using? I'm doing the same to a Mac 512K (can't use that keyboard, hehe).

8. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Any 9" VGA or SVGA grayscale monitor should work. There are a lot of cheap monochrome CRT monitors on eBay. You could also go color LCD, which would save space, but I haven't been able to find any that fit exactly; most have an aspect ratio of 16:9 rather than 4:3 of standard CRTs. Also, the curve of a CRT fits snuggly to the bezel, whereas the flat LCD will require some working to keep it from looking cludgey.

9. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I'm curious if either of you ended up completing this project. I'd love attempt a similar project once I return home from Iraq.