Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Was considering getting a Series 0 from Best Buy. What have been people's experiences with speed on both watches running iOS 3?

Seems like ios3 breathed new life into Series 0.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
S0 here. It's marginally faster than on OS2 for most tasks. Played with an S1 at the Apple Store. Saw another marginal increase in speed over the S0. Not nearly enough to upgrade.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I actually went out and bought a series 1 SG sport. After i seen some speed tests on the things i use the watch for i wasn't really impressed. I use the watch for notifications, weather, check email stuff like that. I ended up taking back my series 1 sport and got a Space black SS first generation from best buy that they had left over for $299 the last one! Original MSRP was $600 so ill take that! Honestly i can't say i "see" a difference for loading stuff how i use the watch.

Is there a difference, yes i am sure for those who want the fastest possible. But i would rather take a small hit on performance for the premium build. They said 50% faster but i wasn't seeing that for sure.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have a series 1 sport and an original (series 0) SS with modern buckle. The series 1 is noticeably faster which is nice, but the SS is my watch of choice for anything other than sport because of it's dressier look and it's fast enough for anything I need it for.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I have a series 1 sport and an original (series 0) SS with modern buckle. The series 1 is noticeably faster which is nice, but the SS is my watch of choice for anything other than sport because of it's dressier look and it's fast enough for anything I need it for.

I'm surprised there are not more videos online comparing the two.

When Apps are in your dock is the speed almost the same since they are running in the background?

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I'm surprised there are not more videos online comparing the two.

When Apps are in your dock is the speed almost the same since they are running in the background?

I don't have any Apps on the watch other than the ones it came with. When I bring up the installed Apps I can't really appreciate any difference in speed except for the activity app. I notice when changing watches, the series 1 brings up the information on the activity app a lot faster. In general the 1st generation watch is fast enough for me and runs great on OS3.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I don't have any Apps on the watch other than the ones it came with. When I bring up the installed Apps I can't really appreciate any difference in speed except for the activity app. I notice when changing watches, the series 1 brings up the information on the activity app a lot faster. In general the 1st generation watch is fast enough for me and runs great on OS3.

Thanks for the info. Would you recommend getting a Series 1 Sport or Series 0 SS?

I had the SS at launch and sold it after Watch OS 2 because it was too slow. Figure I'll invest in a SS Series 3 or 4 when there is a redesign.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Thanks for the info. Would you recommend getting a Series 1 Sport or Series 0 SS?

I had the SS at launch and sold it after Watch OS 2 because it was too slow. Figure I'll invest in a SS Series 3 or 4 when there is a redesign.

Hard call. I like the look of the SS and the battery life is better. I like the weight and speed of the Series 1. The battery doesn't last as long but I haven't made any adjustments to improve battery life so I'm sure it could be better. For me right now the series 1 has a slight edge because it is so light weight I hardly know I'm wearing it and the SS case gets scratched so easily that I'm more protective of it. It really depends on how you'll use it and what features are more important for you. Good luck with your decision. I'm sure you'll love either watch.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Was considering getting a Series 0 from Best Buy. What have been people's experiences with speed on both watches running iOS 3?

Seems like ios3 breathed new life into Series 0.

I have both the S0 and S2, both SS. My view is that if you mainly use the native apps and don't care about GPS or the additional waterproofing, then the speed differences, at least now, are negligible. (For whatever reason, I find that the S2 is much faster with 3rd-party apps, but YMMV.) If you are in that situation, it's not rational to get the S2. I'm sticking with the S2 because I use the watch frequently, and the little things (more responsive, more water-resistant, easier to view in sunlight, GPS if/when I want to use it, etc.) over time have value, but I can see a lot of folks in the same position simply sticking with the S0 until a much better AW comes out. The S0 also is a little thinner; it's not much, but it's noticeable. Any thicker, and the S2 would be a porker. A wildcard would be changes to the OS that make the S1/S2 noticeably faster for some tasks than the S0, but that's speculation.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I have both the S0 and S2, both SS. My view is that if you mainly use the native apps and don't care about GPS or the additional waterproofing, then the speed differences, at least now, are negligible. (For whatever reason, I find that the S2 is much faster with 3rd-party apps, but YMMV.) If you are in that situation, it's not rational to get the S2. I'm sticking with the S2 because I use the watch frequently, and the little things (more responsive, more water-resistant, easier to view in sunlight, GPS if/when I want to use it, etc.) over time have value, but I can see a lot of folks in the same position simply sticking with the S0 until a much better AW comes out. The S0 also is a little thinner; it's not much, but it's noticeable. Any thicker, and the S2 would be a porker. A wildcard would be changes to the OS that make the S1/S2 noticeably faster for some tasks than the S0, but that's speculation.

Was thinking of getting Series 1 for the processor since I don't really need waterproofing or GPS. That way I'm covered if anything changes with future OS updates.

I would rather invest in a SS model when there is a redesign or the Watch gets thinner. Never had a sport model before so just debating between silver or space gray.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Was thinking of getting Series 1 for the processor since I don't really need waterproofing or GPS. That way I'm covered if anything changes with future OS updates.

I would rather invest in a SS model when there is a redesign or the Watch gets thinner. Never had a sport model before so just debating between silver or space gray.

Watches are personal, and I prefer the S2 SS with the sapphire crystal even though, functionally, an aluminum S2 or even S1 would be the same. I like the SB SS models, but the band choices are so limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.