Serious 10.4.8 intel Airport problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thewhitehart, Oct 27, 2006.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I've been having lots of problems with airport under 10.4.8 intel recently. I tried the suggestion on the apple support page, which was to remove my WPA2 network from the preferred list and to re-add it.

I tried trashing airport pref files. Every now and again, airport drops out completely while on, and no available networks are listed from the menu bar, requiring a reset. I know my airport express router is working perfectly, and I know several other networks in the neighborhood are working. They're just not showing up on intel 10.4.8. I have a ppc ibook, and it connects to the router just fine under 10.4.8.

When is apple going to acknowledge this problem and create a fix?

2. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I am. I also followed the steps that didn't result in a fix. Infact, after removing everything as instructed in the guide I rebooted my mini and it connected to my WLAN without so much as prompting for the WPA key! I've tried removing the connection and re-adding it a few more times since, and repairing permissions, but the airport connection still randomly drops out and does not automatically reconnect.

This is only since 10.4.8, Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz Mac mini.

4. macchill macrumors newbie

Serious 10.4.8 Intel Airport problems

I had the same problem shortly after I updated to 10.4.8. Everytime I would wake it my MacBook from sleep, I had to go through the painful task of selecting my wireless network, opening Activity Monitor, and Force Quitting the rampage airport process that was consuming 99% of my CPU and 1.5 GB of memory. After nearly 6 weeks of trying different things, contacting Apple, etc. I finally was able to get a solution from Apple's engineers. Basically he had me uninstall all of my VPN client software and profiles which I had a Cisco and Checkpoint VPN client from my work and school. I was quite skeptical of this as none of my VPNs are set to connect automatically and I never had any problem starting them once I went through my airport shutdown routine. Sure enough my MacBook is back to its pre-10.4.8 good self, automatically selects my preferred networks after waking from sleep and I no longer need to do the force quit dance.

One note is that when you uninstall the VPN software, be sure to read the uninstall instructions from that vendor...you need to be sure it completely uninstalls.

5. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

That's cool. The only thing is I don't have any VPN software :(

I managed to curb the problem by removing all of my WPA and WPA2 wireless networks from the Preferred Network list, and re-adding them. It won't allow me to Automatically select networks anymore, otherwise the problem continues constantly.

I haven't had problems in a while, but any slight change to the Airport settings screws up the whole thing all over again.

6. synotia macrumors newbie

I'm having the same trouble on my MacBook Pro 15" running 10.4.11. While it doesn't seem to affect my connections to wifi points, it does consume 99% of my CPU and it's the first thing I check if my computer's a bit sluggish or my battery is going down faster than normal. Hoping this is fixed in the next update, or leopard...