Serious Accident near me

Discussion in 'Community' started by wrldwzrd89, Mar 8, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I was just driving home from work when I noticed a serious accident on the other side of the road. Here are the details:

---ORANGE, OH---
    Accident on State Route 422 Westbound between Harper Rd. and SR-422/I-271/I-480 interchange. All lanes blocked, including shoulder. All westbound traffic on SR-422 must exit at Harper Rd. 3 cars and a truck are involved. One car is spun off the side of the road into the median; another car has been crushed, and the third car is flipped over. Police, fire, and emergency services are on the scene. The truck has suffered enough damage to require towing, but it isn't obvious where the damage is (at least it wasn't from my vantage point).

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

"Car crushed" automatically makes me think the driver could not possibly have survived. There have been miraculous stories of people who were rescued, albeit severely injured, but that just doesn't sound good. :(

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

You're right, it doesn't usually bode well.

But there was a story, last year I believe, about a woman driving on I-80/94 between Illinois and Indiana. She was caught between 2 semi trucks (rear-ended and driven into the truck in front of her) and her car was almost completely crushed.

She walked away with only bruises and scratches, and maybe a broken arm or something.

Here's another interesting survival story from January.

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Thomas, I love the show "24", but that Avator is freekin obnoxious. lol :D

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

3 or 4 monthes ago my neighbors daughter (18, HS senior) was driving home from a party around midnight. No one really knows what happended for sure but it is believed her cell phone was ringing and she reached over to pick it up and swerved off the road (she was not drunk) and hit a tree at an estimated 60mph, althought the speed limit is 40mph on the road. So she hit the tree which was probably 1.5ft around in her new toyota corolla and went all the way through the tree. A friend was driving behind her, but did not see the incident because the friend was further behind, but go to the scene just minutes after the crash occurred and ran up to a nearby house and called the police. Because of the crash one of her lungs collapsed and she had brain damage. Her collaspsed lung at the crash deprived her brain of oxygen and put her into a coma before they could have helped her. Unfortuanatly she the doctors could not get her out of the coma so she sadly died two days later. The amazing thing is that if she had driven literrally 15 feet further she would have driven into an open field.

Very sad and tragic. She left her two parents and two sisters. It affected the whole town and school. The teachers posponed tests and the pricipal had buses to drive students over to the wake.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

:(

That's horrible. I feel for the family and friends (including yourself, I assume) who have had to deal with this. It's frightening how such seemingly inconsequential events (a phone ringing) can have such lasting impact.

7. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

For another intresting storyWFSB- CT It involves a tractor trailer carrying lamb meat.

Also, on the way to my house today, I was on a main road (poorly plowed, very slippery) and i see this car spin out ahead (Buick), the car in back of it slamms on its backs and slides into the other lane (Honda). The car inback of car #2/infront of me (another Honda) slams on his brakes and slides into gardrail which prevents cars from falling into a gorge. Luckly I was able to stop pretty easily in my Rangey but it was pretty intresting seeing all the cars infront of me sliding around. It reminded me of the Ford Five Hundred commerical where all the other cars are sliding around but the fords AWD keeps it on the road.

8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea it was very sad and I knew the family, not very very well but they are my neighbors. She was a very good feild hockey player and a senior. The parents bought the second daughter after that event a Lexus RX330 because its got very good safety ratings.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've mentioned it here before, but my brother-in-law recently survived totaling his '02 Accord V6 at about 60mph. He managed to pull a couple 360's on the freeway, take a highway sign impact directly on his drivers door, causing the car to then roll 3 times. He walked away with some bruises and scrapes from all the broken glass (all windows including the moonroof blew out) because he had his seatbelt on.

We had a pretty bad accident here not too long ago where all lanes were blocked on the 101 because some guy in a van slammed on his brakes, lost control, rolled his van, ejecting himself onto the freeway (no seat belt). He died at the scene and the road was closed for 2 hours.

Wear your seatbelts folks!

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, I think they've added the "60mph into a tree" test to recent government ratings. :rolleyes:

I think that her sister dying was probably all that she needed to remind her to drive safely, which was really the issue.

11. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow thats sorta nasty (van story). In my town like maybe 6 monthes ago this small oil truck (still big but not a semi) and it was going down this road called mountain road which as you can guess is a steep road (your ears pop a couple times driving down it). Anways, the truck lost its brakes going down the road and went through a 4 way intersection and crashed into an area of small trees. The driver was fine but the oil tank was punctured and oil was leaking into the ground- what a mess to clean up.

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I was suprised to actually see the parents let the daughter drive!

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

That the no 1 reason why people buy it i think because its so safe

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I heard a major car crash that occurred about 20 meters from where I was turning right onto the street. I didn't see it, but I heard it. A van rear-ended a car. It does not sound anything like what you hear in the movies. It sounded muffled, like a big bean bag hitting some soft metal. It wasn't loud and I didn't think much of it, until I turned my head to see a major pile-up of twisted metal and broken shards of glass. Apparently the driver didn't even brake, so no screeches were heard.

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I agree, a concentrated-force test would be a big indicator of potential safety performance. I don't see anything as to it being a standard test, like you mentioned, but I'm sure manufacturers are probably looking at this. From what I can tell, though, most tests are done at 40mph or below.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nah, manufacturers aren't looking at this. Why? Because its not a part of a standard test yet. They need to design cars that satisfy standard tests. Manufacturers also don't protect you from accidents where large truck tires fly off and into your windshield and killing you.

They design cars to protect you and meet the criteria of safety boards, but that's it. Actually, I think they've done enough if they pass those tests in flying colours. There's a point where it shouldn't rest on a car company's shoulders. Chalk it up to poor decision-making by the driver, or bad luck.

Of course, US safety tests are different from European safety tests, but if a car can satisfy them all, say a Lexus, then brill.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    omg thats so tragic my sympathies go out to your neighbor

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Like others, I'm very interested to hear the status of the victims in this accident. Hopefully most of them were able to walk away.

20. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

cheekyspanky

Where I live back home I have witnessed three accidents personally, and there have been about five when I have been away from home.

There is a dual carriage way (like a small freeway I guess) which used to be national speed limit - but just where I live there are two small roads which go onto it.

Obviously this doesn't work so well..I've seen a car spin out trying to turn down one of these smaller roads and smash sideways into a wall, i've seen a woman plow into a motorbike waiting to turn down one of these smaller roads, a car came from the smaller road and ran straight into a passing lorry carrying horses.

The most recent one I heard an ambulance so looked out of the window as I was close to it - I could see the ambulance driving up the small road with one car ahead of it - the woman driving the car must have panicked and tried to get out of the way - by pulling straight out onto the dual carriage way - slam. A car went straight into the side of her car at between 50 - 60mph. Amazingly she she was okay except for shock - it helped there was an ambulance team on the scene within 30 seconds!

I've also managed to witness a bus driver pass out, lose control, and crash into a wall - killing a woman that was just walking out of her office at the time. If I hadn't stopped at McDonalds for a milkshake I could well have been in her place. :(

I think I attract accidents - the first airshow I went to I saw two Mig's crash into each other..

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The amount of accidents today in the Northeast is astonishing, tons of jackknifed trailers and probably hundreds or car accidents.

22. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea definatly, but the West Coast has all those car chases that are on the news all the time.

On the way home I saw people driving at least 40mph on the same street that the girl died one and the road is barely plowed and is unsanded. Just because they have a ford expedition doesn't mean they can go as fast as they want in snow- I think they forget once you start to slide in a heavy SUV- its much more difficult to stop. On that same road I have seen so many bad things. People speeding when theres unplowed snow about to go down a curved hill that cars and trucks stuggle to get up. The cars going up swerve around a especially if they do not have AWD/4WD. Then the cars coming down can't stop easily and right the bottom of the hill is a narrow bridge that goes over a gorge. Also on that bridge once a bus almost went over because its so narrow and the roads were slippery- buses are not allowed to go over the that bridge.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

That is definitely something amazing... and BTW, it is MiG not Mig.
    (Aircraft of all kinds are kinda a hobby :D)

I once drove past an 18-wheeler that had stalled, and a minivan behind it kept on going, accelerating up the freeway onramp. Decapitated the driver and nearly killed the passenger, both who were underneath the trailer's end. My dad (who works at the hospital the passenger was taken to) said that the lungs were mush and whoever had inserted the breathing tube was amazing. But they couldn't have done much, because they died shortly after arrival. 16 years old I think it was... and infant died too.

24. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Might as well say this now

This is exactly why I bought a Range Rover to all of you "SUV haters" (and yes that sounds a little Bush like). To see 3 cars infront of me slide/spin out thats enough for me. SUVs can get throuugh the snow better safer that is if you drive one responsibly.

I'm not intending to start a debate her but as you can see where I live when it snows is not the safest place. And if theres not snow then there are deer. I know 4 people who have hit deers. One person totalled their maxima, one person hit a deer in their expedition (hurt the front left of car) they were also towing a trailer so after the deet hit the front- it flew back and hit the trailer damaging that- they saw the deer but pulling all the wieght they could not stop fast enough, one person in his brand new mercedes E320 hit 2 deer and wrecked the whole front and side, and the last hit a deet in there BMW 330xi and wrecked the front left side of the car along with internal damage. Theses are all people around me. The deer just jump out of the woods. I have nearly hit a few this fall/winter too. Its Crazy!

Ohh yea I forgot to mension 2 snow storms ago one of my neighbors daughter also 18 and a senior was driving her honda civic and spun out, hit a tree and totaled it. On the same road that the girl died on.

You would think that road is cursed or something???

Have I hijacked this thread.

And why they bought the girls sister the Lexus, probably not just for safety bit also as a gift, and they are pretty well off.