Serious DVD Player issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rinseout, May 12, 2005.

1. rinseout macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004

I have a (brand) new DVD I purchased from Amazon. The first time, DVD Player would complain part way through about "DVD Player encountered an error it could not recover from. The disc may be scratched or dirty [-36]."

So, even though the disc looked fine and not scratched or dirty, I returned it to Amazon to get it replaced. The replacement has come, and once again I get this error.

Amazon's policy is not to refund opened DVDs. Is there any way of somehow recovering the content of the DVD and making it playable? I imagine the trouble is a couple of bad frames or something... I just want to be able to use my new DVD (in my Mac)!

Has anybody else noticed that DVD Player is less than stable for some discs?
  2. Lily1000 macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2005
    Yes, I have noticed this. Some discs that my Phillips DVD player happily plays can be troublesome, so far my solution has been to use VLC - that happily plays any discs DVD player rejects!

I'm in the UK and only play region 2 discs. I've only encountered this with my rev A iMac G5 (10.3.5 - 10.3.9), never had a problem with my trusty eMac (Rev A - 10.2.8). Confused? Yes! I do recommend VLC, if you've never used it, you'll find it on versiontracker.
  3. rinseout thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    Works great! Thanks!

(Hopefully Apple will fix DVD Player! :rolleyes: )